cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

COMPLAINT: Temporary plan suspension for long-term travellers

LaurieGami
I'm a participant level 2

I decided to head on a year-long travel in South America, but I didn't want to loose my phone number while I was away. I called Customer Service ahead of my departure, and was told that I could suspend my plan, that there would be a maximum of 6 months, but that I could call back and suspend it again for another 6 months. This option came at a cost of $7 + tax/month.

I've been at the mid-travel mark, and decided to call back to renew my suspension and to my surprise, there is a maximum of 185 days per calendar year, so I am now forced to subscribe to a plan, which will cost $15 + tax/month, in order to *just* keep my phone number. I don't have the use for this plan, since I have a local phone and use WhatsApp for international communication.

TL;DR: Fido needs to improve their services, and allow for people to suspend their plan for longer than 185 days per calendar year.

4 REPLIES 4

Jane_sefhsleu
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, same situation here. May I ask how did you get the $15+tax plan? I couldn’t even get that. Customer service told me the $15 BYOP plan is only available to new customers and prepaid plans discontinued. My current plan is 40+/mo though I just want to keep my number while abroad.

LaurieGami

I am sorry to hear that, and also grateful to know that I am not the only one in this situation. This proves that they need to improve their services, one more time!

I guess, I just spent hours on the phone negotiating with them. I am also not tied to them in any way, contract-wise, as I've been with them for years and haven't upgraded phone or plan in a while. I am sure, this will bite me back once I return to Canada, but at this point, I am seriously considering switching provider, for their poor service. 

FidoAllan

Hey @LaurieGami!

We appreciate your feedback.

We updated the option to add more flexibility and you can now use up to 185 days of suspension throughout the year instead of only once a year, and you can now manage it by yourself on MyAccount! 

LaurieGami

Your answer doesn't provide a solution to my problem here. You just repeated what I already stated above: there is a limitation of 185 days per calendar year for account suspension, meaning that I am unable to renew my account suspension, as I already used those 185 days this year.