cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Byop plan and phone upgrade

Nodcene
I'm a participant level 3

Just to be clear, I originally signed up under contract with Fido under their old system. After the 3 year contract finished I signed up for the 2 year contract and got an LG G3. During that time I ended up buying a Note 4 and switched to using that phone. My 2 year contract is over and my account is saying I'm under the byop plan so have I lost all the benefits of having been on contract when it comes to upgrading my phone?

I want to keep my current plan as I have 6gb of data and unlimited everything else for around $75 a month.

I'm looking to upgrade to the LG V20 but from what I'm reading I'll have to either buy the phone at full cost or change my plan which isn't really acceptable. I was able to get my last phone under the 2 year contract while being able to keep my plan and get the full discount on the phone even though the 2 years had passed and was no longer under contract.

It looks like they've changed the rules and us longish term customers are getting the shaft by being forced to either give up our existing plans or pay full price for a phone upgrade.

Am I missing something here or is it time to start looking elsewhere.

Thanks

***Edited to add labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Nodcene,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the frustration. However, that fact of the matter is that some of the older plans do not have enough subsidy to cover the cost of today's phones. Some of the grandfathered plans were convertible to the new Plus system. Unfortunately, some of them might not have been convertible.

The outright cost for the LG G3 was $600 when it came out. Even the Note 4 was only $749 outright. Compare those with the cost of the newer phones -- specifically the V20, since that is the phone you're interested in: $999.

The cost of phones has gone up and the cost of services has gone up. How much would your plan cost today as a BYOP? I'm guessing it would be quite a bit more than what you're paying now -- and that's without adding any subsidy...

I understand many loyal customers feel shafted, however, there is only so much leeway that can be afforded in the name of loyalty. Companies might be willing to reduce their profits for their loyal customers (ie grandfathered plans), however taking a loss would not make any business sense. The argument is often that Fido will lose a loyal customer. Losing future revenue from a loyal customer is not the same as taking a loss.

I'm not saying that Fido would rather see you leave. You just can't expect a company to lose money just so you'll stay. If you cannot afford to purchase the phone outright, then you'll have to change your plan to one that does have enough subsidy to cover the cost of the device. If you look elsewhere, do your research. Some offers might seem better, but do their services actually suit your needs?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Nodcene!

We definitely don't want to see you go. Sad 

When it comes to plans and upgrading, we'd never make you change your plan. The price of the phone would vary based on the plan category that you're in. The only plan category that doesn't give a subsidy on any phone is the BYOP category since it is meant for customers who bring their own phone.

When you finished your previous agreement, did you change your plan to a BYOP? Or did you mean to say that you're on a month to month basis?

Let me know. Smiley

Nodcene
As far as I know I should be on a month to month basis but my account I'd showing as byod for some reason. Maybe because I switched to a non-fido phone. I'd really like to upgrade to the LG v20. I guess I'll have to go to a fido shop to see what can be done

Hi @Nodcene!

Let me send you a PM to go over your options. 

Cheers!

Nodcene

I never received a message.

Oh, and just to let you know I was able to buy the phone outright for $500 Canadian or so brand new including a 4 year warranty. Phones are only full price for about 6 months or so and then drop in price quickly as newer models come out so I don't see how fido would be losing money. I wouldnt mind at all having to wait a certain amount of time until the prices drop to get it under a new contract because I have a grandfathered plan (not to mention I saw recently plans that were very similar to mine for maybe $10 more) so saying I'm not paying enough money to qualify anymore as month to month basis and having my account changed to byod without warning so I lose any benefits of having been with you for god knows how many years now is underhanded to say the least and doesn't speak very highly about your attitudes towards loyal customers. 

Of course I shouldn't be surprised since you are a Rogers company but when I started with Fido it was a very different company and one I was happy to recommend to friends. As you can imagine that is no longer the case. 

Hey @Nodcene,

I see that you replied to our PM on June 1st and we sent you a last message June 4th. Don't hesitate to get back to your PMs and answer us if you want to continue the conversation, we'll be more than happy to!

Nodcene

For some reason I cant find any fido messages on my phone from that date or any other for that matter aside from automated messages about roaming. It could have been lost during the change of phones. 

You may have missed my last message on this board as I was editing it when you replied. I just dont see how you can do much for me except put me back to month to month instead of byod like I was originally. 

Thanks for the update Smiley

I'll be sending you another PM!

Nodcene

Thanks. 

Just noticed Fido is still charging full prices on phones that are going for half as much on the open market. So while you may not make a ton of money when the phones are first released you sure as hell get that back and tons more when the prices drop and you still charge the original price. That's crazy (no offence to you as I know you personally have no control over that). 

Nodcene

Just wanted to update everyone who ends up reading this thread in the future. 

Even though 2 other reps said they would change me from byod to month to month (since there was never any informed consent about the change of my status) this latest "support" rep has denied me this change even though I've already bought a new phone and dont plan to sign up for a 2 year contract to get a minor discount on a phone probably ever. This was all about principle and being lied to about what would happen when I changed my plan. 

Fyi, with the current plans it would cost me only $20 more to give me what I have now plus an extra 4gb of data a month. So its not like I have some super cheap plan that's doesn't have anything comparable under month to month plans.

Good job Fido. When will these companies learn that bad customer service always cost these companies more in the long run than doing the right thing.

Hey @Nodcene

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback.

I'd like to add some clarification by saying that being on a Month to Month simply means that you have no agreement.

BYOP plans are automatically on a month to month basis since you can't renew your line and get a new phone. 

However, it's possible to have your line on a Month to Month basis if your agreement expires and you don't change your plan.

For example, someone having a Large plan with an agreement decides to keep the Large plan once the agreement is over and not renew the line. That person will now be on a Month to Month basis with a Large plan and can renew the line on that same plan in the future.

The subsidy offered on the new phone will be applied accordingly.

Cheers Smiley