cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bright star is a scam

Jamie741
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

My phone wouldn’t charge so I filed a claim with bright star as I suspected the charging port was damaged, they quickly charged me $75 before I could take my phone to a repair agent.

The agent looked at the phone and removed a small rock or something from the charging port at no cost to myself or brightstar, they let the company know that no parts were replaced and brightstar will not incur any costs.

Brightstar will not refund my $75 as they say a repair took place, basically it cost me $75 more to claim through brightstar that if I had taken my phone in on my own.  I wish I hadn’t wasted my money on this useless insurance!

Make sure you read the small print before giving this company any money.

3 REPLIES 3

FidoJulien
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Jamie741

Welcome to the Community Smiley

I'm sad to read you had trouble with Brightstar. Have you tried speaking with a manager on their side to see if they could help?

@Scooby-Doo Brightstar is the company that takes care of the Fido Device protection program! 

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Jamie741 

Welcome to the community!🙂

Thanks for sharing. I don't know who Bright star is.. I wonder if this phone insurance repair provider was through Fido? But I understand their model of charging  a flate fee for the service to look at it for an estimate or an estimate up to a cost. That way you know it's not going to be more for a repair "without parts". Parts are in addition. Maybe ever labour depending on length of time required for the repair.

Is this scam! How would they ever survive in business without?

All I see in Fido are repair/insurance offering are achieved through monthly cost.

Did you know a phone purchase could be insured through Visa or even extended warranty protection  if purchased it through some credit card at no extra charge!

Cheers!

Scooby-Doo
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Thanks Jules!

I had a look 3tier repair (based on phone value - between 750 to $999) are $70+tx.

It's cheaper or on par with ubreakifix.

Hopefully you get your money back later!

Cheers!