cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beware - setup service fee charged for online device activation

Centurion
I'm a participant level 2

Activated new account online and was billed an activation fee despite screenshot of order showing that the fee was waived. Called customer service and was told that fee was applied automatically and that a request would be made to remove it on a future bill. Why is Fido charging these fees when its website advertising says "Save $50 on the Setup Service Fee when you activate any device online" and the fee is not displayed in the online order total? Customers should not have to call in to have the fee waived and Fido should not be keeping the $50 fee for one or two billing cycles. Misleading advertising. If enough customers complain to the Complaints Ombudsman (Google CCTS) perhaps Fido will stop this practice.

4 REPLIES 4

vandansheth
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I just activated a device and I am charged $50 activation fees. I have recording of my conversation with FIDO agent where he clearly said that the activation fee has been waived. I am taking this matter to CCTS. I will make sure that enough people in my circle know about this and do not make a mistake of going with FIDO or Rogers.

Hi there @vandansheth and welcome to the Community.

Most of the time, we have an offer that waives the fees by your thid bill. This offer would also be displayed on the email confirmation we send you following your upgrade (and was also confirmed to you on your call today this morning).

If you require additionnal help with your situation, you can reach us out in private on Facebook, Twitter or Instagram as well and we'll be happy to provide you the information once more.

Centurion

Hello FidoSaad,

I have activated two new devices online recently at Fido.ca and was charged the activation fee both times. For the second order, I have a screenshot showing that the fee was waived in the total amount for the order, yet it still appears on my bill. I have spent forever on the phone with Fido or on live chat trying to resolve these issues. Switched from Koodo, and wishing that I had not done so.

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @Centurion!

We're happy to hear that you were able to have this resolved by speaking with one of our agents Smiley

It's good to know that whenever you complete the transaction online on Fido.ca, you will not be billed a $50 service fee for a new activation or phone upgrade. This is mentioned in your order summary and will also be confirmed by email for the transaction you've completed. Otherwise, the $50 fee applies when these transactions are completed with an agent.

To take a closer look at your account and confirm how the order was placed, you can reach out to us on these channels and we'll be happy to review the situation. 

Hope this helps!