cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BY THE MONTH - $10 TALK & TEXT PLAN

fadi76
I'm a participant level 2

I am on Prepaid BY THE MONTH - $10 TALK & TEXT PLAN , and I can not understand how this plan works !

if it is including Talk: 50 local anytime minutes why I am being charged with every single call outgoing or incoming !

I assume that once i exceed the 50 minutes talking you will start charging my balance !

For example , Today I was charged $0.45 for an incoming local call !!

also was charged $0.95 for an outgoing call !

please calrify if the 50 talk minutes are included for free also clarify the rates per minutes for all calls local and our of area

The other issue , I have changed my number online yesterday and there was about 5$ in my balance which was disappeared and my new number showing $0 balance , so I had to refill it again with $10 !

why my balance was lost ?

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Fadi76,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly, you are correct. The $10.75 prepaid plan includes 50 local minutes. If you exceed those minutes, you would get charged 35¢ per additional minute for local calls. Note any long-distance charges would be in addition to those 50 included and additional minutes.

Do you have any additional information regarding those call charges? Those charges do not appear to reflect additional local minute charges.

I understand you changed your number recently. Had you moved? If you are situated outside of your incoming local calling area, those incoming calls are considered long-distance -- even though it was from somewhere local.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number (ie 416 is GTA). It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call, and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you're standing.

All incoming and outgoing calls are considered airtime. Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

So, if you had a 416 area code number but received a call in Vancouver, it would be considered long-distance -- even though the call might have originated from Vancouver.

I brought that up because the 45¢ seems like it could be a long-distance charge (Fido website states 40¢ per minute LD, but price increase??). If you still had local minutes left you would only be charged the LD. Does this sound like a possibility?

When was your prepaid plan due to renew? If there wasn't sufficient monies in the account for the following month a 35¢ per minute charge would apply (see full details here)

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

fadi76

Thanks so much Cawtau for sharing all these information.

I still wonder why these charges on my balance while I still didn't use even 10 mins of my 50 talk mins.

My new number starts with 226 which is kitchener and I live in Kitchener and didnt move out and the call received today while I was physically in Kitchener but i have no idea why i have been charged $ 0.45 for less than a minute local call and why this was not counted of the free 50 mins I have.

The out call was to a friend who lives in kitchener but his number starts with 647 Toronto and I was charged $ 0.95 for less than a minute call !

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. To me, it still sounds like the charges were for long-distance (LD). The 226 area code encompasses an area much larger than just Kitchener (see here). It's possible your 226 phone number is from a different city (ie London). If true, your incoming local calling area (LCA) would be London. Receiving calls in Kitchener would be considered LD. You might consider contacting customer support to determine from which city your phone number originates. That is, to determine the incoming LCA for the phone number. Alternatively, you could send a PM to a moderator (MOD beside their username).  If you continue with a local calling plan, you might consider changing your number.

I understand your friend lives in Kitchener as well. However, since they still have a Toronto phone number (647), you would be making LD calls to them even though you're both living in the same city. In this case, both sides are considered LD. You're placing a call outside of your outgoing LCA; they're physically outside of their incoming LCA. Whether your friend also gets charged LD would depend on whether their plan includes Canada-wide calling.

In addition, calls are charged by the minute. So, even if the call lasts less than a minute, it will count as a full minute.

**edit** While I believe LD might play a part in those charges, they don't add-up to the charges I would normally expect for standard LD. You might consider contacting customer service to determine the actual souce of those charges**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers