cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all 3 LTE bands used concurrently? or depending on the tower?

hedgesburn
I'm a contributor level 1

From what I see online, Fido uses LTE bands 4, 7 and 17.  I'm wondering are all 3 bands used concurrently across the network?  Or is it dependent on the tower?  i.e. one tower spits out band 4, and another band 7.  I have a phone that has bands 4 and 7, wondering if I will ever encounter a scenario where only band 17 is being used and therefore I'll have no lte

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Hedgesburn,

Fido also uses band 12 in some areas (see here). To answer your question, it depends on the tower. Some towers have all of the bands/frequencies. On the other hand, there are also towers with fewer bands/frequencies. A couple of towers only have LTE bands 12 or 17. In those instances, you would be without LTE. You can get an idea of the frequencies used by your surrounding towers here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

hedgesburn

Great, thanks, that helps.  I'm assuming that the frequencies I see on there correspond to the band?  700mhz = band 17, 2100mhz = band 4, and 2600mhz = band 7

Who can I contact to talk about a network issue?  At the office where I work, I'm only geting a few bars of H+, but today, for about 15 mins, I was getting a full band 4 lte signal, I was so excited thinking that this was new and my signal issues had been fixed...but then it disappeared.  I'm located in Vancouver and my office is in New Westminster.  When I look at the rogers tower near my office, it appears to have band 4 and 7.

Hello again,

@hedgesburn wrote:

Great, thanks, that helps.  I'm assuming that the frequencies I see on there correspond to the band?  700mhz = band 17, 2100mhz = band 4, and 2600mhz = band 7

Yes, that would be correct. In BC, 700MHz could also refer to band 12 (band 17 is a subset of band 12).

Your phone should automatically connect to the best available network. Note that might not necessarily be LTE. There are many factors which can affect signal reaching your phone, including distance from cellular tower and interference (ie building obstruction) to name a few. The frequencies have differing characteristics. Once such difference is their travel distance and penetrability (see graphic here). The lower frequencies used by the '3G' network could be better able to reach your phone than the higher frequencies of LTE (except 700MHz, but it isn't available to your phone) at your office.

You can contact customer support and have them direct you to technical support (I have not found a direct number to wireless technical support).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers