cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

After iOS 12 Upgrade and new Carrier update - Bam! No more Carrier selector

cody_w
I'm a contributor level 2

If I’m in a weak coverage are I can no longer manually pick “Fido EXT” from the Carrier menu. That whole menu is gone after iOS 12 on an iPhone X. 

Note about 3 weeks ago (pervious iOS 11) I did run into that bug where the phone will no longer connect to the network and you have to restore the phone completely from backup. 

Hope its it’s not the same issue. At least this time I still have connectivity. 

Thoughts? Was this a carrier update from Fido or iOS 12 issue?

71 REPLIES 71

cody_w

Actually Cawtau, I do understand fully. 

Facts:

1) if they were being pressured by the other providers, then they wouldn’t be “fixing” this to add it back (albeit incredibly slowly). 

2) business contract between telcos are just that, firm enforceable contracts. Telus isn’t calling fido to say “hey” your customers are roaming too much! No. Every month a job runs and generates an invoice. They send a bill to Rogers/Fido for the roaming used on their network. They don’t care. It’s all business. There’s also reverse roaming in place for Telus as well. 

This is nothing more than Fido dropping the ball on a carrier update and taking too long to fix it.

Apple moved the menu option in iOS 12 and Fido missed the change in the documentation. Plain and simple. Whereas all the other carriers noticed the change in the API and updated accordingly before releasing their iOS 12 carrier updates. 

Hello again,

@cody_w wrote:...

1) if they were being pressured by the other providers, then they wouldn’t be “fixing” this to add it back (albeit incredibly slowly)....

I don't think they're reinstating it back to the way it was. That's why it's taking so long. However, they need to reinstate a means for some users to manually select the Fido network so they can prevent roaming.

@cody_w wrote:...

2) business contract between telcos are just that, firm enforceable contracts. Telus isn’t calling fido to say “hey” your customers are roaming too much! No. Every month a job runs and generates an invoice. They send a bill to Rogers/Fido for the roaming used on their network. They don’t care. It’s all business. There’s also reverse roaming in place for Telus as well...

Yes, the roaming agreements are enforcable contracts. Your choosing to manually switch to Fido-EXT when your phone has '3G' breaches those contracts. I think the provider being roamed upon does care. Why do you think there's the 50% usage must be on your home network as a part of the contract? They make less money getting paid for your roaming usage than they would if you paid them for your services.

Yes, the roaming agreements are bilateral. However, Telus customers are not likely to try to inappropriately access the Rogers networks since Telus have been found to have the faster LTE speeds (see here). I think the reason it has only now become an issue (rather than years ago) is that it's likely more people are abusing access to the Telus networks to gain those faster speeds.

**edit**

@cody_w wrote:

Apple moved the menu option in iOS 12 and Fido missed the change in the documentation. Plain and simple. Whereas all the other carriers noticed the change in the API and updated accordingly before releasing their iOS 12 carrier updates. 

Presumably it's the same menu option for manually selecting a network while roaming outside of Canada. Interesting that the manual network selection is available when roaming internationally. There was a conscious decision to remove it from domestic roaming, but keeping it with international roaming.**

Cheers

Kraven

Manually selecting the network prevents accidental roaming charges by locking you to your carrier. Yes some might need to move to alternative native carrier options. But locking to ones native Carrier prevents unintended roaming to alternative networks and you don’t always notice that happens till it’s to late.  Manually being able to select your home network is not a feature it’s a must. Fido dropped the ball and they don’t care. As to Fido anybody there are way to many here to accurately provide any solid support. They literally just pass the buck and have no clue as to what is going on. It is shameful that they do this. Honestly it’s down right painful to watch them repeat the party line. It’s like watching Trump talk and thinking that’s making Fido Great Again. 

Kraven

Not according to apple support. It’s not difficult at all. 

Hello again,

@Kraven wrote:

Not according to apple support. It’s not difficult at all. 

The people you speak with at Apple support aren't likely the ones trying to implement the changes. Yes, it would be easy to simply reinstate the functionality as before. However, they need to add the measures to prevent the misuse of unnecessary roaming. That's the complicated part.

Cheers

cody_w

Cawtau, are you an employee?

However, they need to add the measures to prevent the misuse of unnecessary roaming.”

thats internal knowledge if it if it is even true. 

I suspect this is a theory you have made up?

Hello again,

No, I do not work for Fido.

Yes, it is my speculation. However, it makes sense. You are not supposed to be able to use extended coverage when you have Fido/Rogers coverage. That was confirmed and that is the way Android deals with trying to access Fido-EXT while in Fido/Rogers coverage. However, it is apparent that is not how things were working with iOS. Didn't you state that 'Apple says this is a fix'? Their fix -- removing manual network selection altogether -- did not address those who have legitimate reason to manually switch networks, so they have to find another way to address the issue.

Cheers

Kraven

Onto a mother note. It’s interesting to see that a post I made was deleted by Fidojulian, because it embarrassed him and was about Jim. 

Hello again,

I don't think anyone was embarassed by your previous post. It was deleted because it went against the Community Guidelines:

Keep it courteous: We’re all for healthy debate, but when it breaks down into personal attacks or anything targeting a corporation or organization, that’s when it stops being cool.

I read your deleted post and it was not very courteous towards FidoJulian. I also found your comment towards another moderator, FidoKenny, rather uncourteous. Surprisingly, that comment was not deleted.

There should be a certain level of decorum maintained in the community.

Cheers

chrisck

I have heard rumours of a fix in the iOS 12.1.1 beta though I can’t confirm that personally. Here’s hoping though. I really don’t care where the fix comes from as long as it’s fixed 😏

chrisck

Now on Carrier version 34.1 still no option for Network Selection on my iPhone. Works on my iPad. 

weebee37
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi all, 

I believe my issue is related to this. Since the carrier update, my LTE no longer works consistently across the city. Seems like when I go from location to location, the connection drops. I was told by a coworker that the way to fix it is constantly cycle LTE on and off under Cellular Data Options. Seems to work so far. Anyone else experience this? Any news on a new carrier update? I dont even know why I pay for Data if I can't use it, or constantly have to reset it. 

Kraven

It’s funny, all the major carriers seem to have the settings correct for this update. I don’t understand Fido’s lack of ability to correct this issue in a timely fashion. While I don’t work in the industry it seems to me if bell can maintain a correct settting in the update Fido should be able to as well.. yes I know they are working on it but perhaps it’s time to fire the people who are working on it and hire some real qualified techie to do the job instead of the incompetent person currently working on it. 

chrisck

What I find frustrating is considering this topic/issue “solved”. I’m not really sure how mentioning no that you are aware of the problem and may eventually fix it at some point qualifies as solving the issue. 

Kraven

@FidoKenny are u just slow on the uptake? Or what? At the end of the day this issue is not solved and to tick this thread as solved is irresponsible of you. Especially as it’s misleading the community! I for one will never accept anything you say as honest and truthful from this point onward. 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @weebee37

Welcome to the community Smiley

This thread currently deals with the missing carrier selection on Iphones using IOS 12.

You should be able to remain connected to LTE without the need to refresh your connection constantly while you're in an LTE zone. Have you had the chance to confirm using NetworkAid? This is a tool built into the Fido My Account app which allows you to check for coverage and the live status of our wireless network.

We can also take a closer look at this together, you can reach out to us here or we can send you a PM on this platform.

@Kraven, currently the resolution is still scheduled to be at the end of this year. Once we have any update we'll be sure to inform the community. As such, FidoKenny's answer remains accurate. Keep in mind that a solution will be the most relevant post on a thread and this will later be updated if need be.

On a side note, even though your carrier settings are set to automatic we're here to help when you experience degraded service on our network. Let us know!

Kraven

Again at the end of this year is not a solution   That is just proving you have no idea or clue as to when you guys are going to have this fixed. It’s apparent you have no clue as to when it will be resolved. I don’t believe you know and this is another lie to tell the sheep. Again apple indicates this is not a complicated issue.  So why would it take weeks and months to implement a simple fix? Why not admit you have no real clue. Also it does seem that there are way too many Fidosomeones weighing in on this with no one Fidosomeone keeping to any topic. So once again you must forgive me if I can’t trust your information to be anything near factual. Maybe it is may it’s not. But one is clear this issue is not solved till it actually gets solved until then you are misrepresenting the facts and reality of the situation. 

Kraven

Oddly enough the network selector is available on my iPad running iOS 12. Wonder why that works and thie iPhone doesn’t. 

chrisck

@Kraven wrote:

Oddly enough the network selector is available on my iPad running iOS 12. Wonder why that works and thie iPhone doesn’t. 

I think if you check you’ll find the carrier settings version on your iPad is 33.0 while on the iPhone it is 33.1.

For the record I also am dealing with this issue. For the most part the regular Fido/Rogers network is fine but just the other day I found myself working in a weak service area where I barely had any signal. The phone would not switch over to the other network n it’s own and with no way to force it I couldn’t make calls or use the internet for the duration.

completely unacceptable. Angry

Kraven

Actually both my iPhone and iPad have the same carrier information 33.0.

chrisck

Interesting, so the issue is isolated to the iPhones then. I really hope they fix this sooner rather than later (presumably with another carrier update) as its causing me definite problems at work.