cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Activating a new SIM card Prepaid

test70
I'm a participant level 2

Hi, I was advised to buy a new SIM card today when I called the Fido helpline for my new phone and then I was told to activate it online at home.  I'm on a Pay as you go and when I log into my fido account, I can't seem to find the Update SIM option.  Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8

Medea

medea

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Medea,

Did you need help with anything?

Please let us know! 

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Test70,

Welcome to the community!

Since you have a Prepaid account, I believe you'll have to go into a store to get the SIM activated (see here). As FidoPierre notes, you'll need to bring two pieces if identification with you.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

test70

Thank you for your help, this is just really bad customer service on Fido especially if I called in prior to and they looked up my account and didn't advise me that I needed to do it at the same time at the store.  Not good service at all!

Hey @test70,

I definitely get where you're coming from and I am truly sorry you were not informed about that during the call. This is not the kind of service we aim to provide.

The information given above is 100% correct though. This procedure ensures that prepaid accounts are not at risk of any fraudulent activities.

Hope this clarifies!

scottchang2463
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I have 3 numbers and I recently need to update the sim cards. But Fido asked me to go to the store, they can not let me do this thru online or thru phone in 2019? Thank god my third number is not with them.

22c

Agreed Scottchang.  I got my new sim card from an authorized fido dealer and clearly stated that it was for a prepaid account.  Three hours wasted trying to activate my phone and contrary to the information given here I have been advised by a fido online rep that I have to activate it over the telephone with customer service, the same advice given in these forums on different threads on the subject and on other related fido webpages on the subject, such as my account page.  As a prepaid customer, there is no requirement whatsoever to provide fido with any type of id, anymore than there would be for me to purchase an item at a department store or supermarket.  I've never once been asked to show id, either for my original purchase, or when replacing phones and sim cards in the past.

Hey @scottchang2463

Welcome to the Community Smiley .

For prepaid accounts, your SIM card will need to be activated in a branded retail location with valid pieces of ID.