Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4G vs 4G LTE

i3kc
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi everyone.

I'm new to data over mobile devices and I want to make sure I'm set up properly.

My device is a BLU Life XL Phone running android 5.x.x.

My connection states that I'm connected on the 4G network, but under network type, it appears that a "4G LTE" network is a "option".

On speedtest, I am getting between 3 and 8 Mbps, more towards the low end on multiple tries.

Is there a difference between 4G vs 4G LTE or are they they same?

Thanks in advance

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@i3kc wrote:

My device is a BLU Life XL Phone running android 5.x.x.

My connection states that I'm connected on the 4G network, but under network type, it appears that a "4G LTE" network is a "option".

On speedtest, I am getting between 3 and 8 Mbps, more towards the low end on multiple tries.

Is there a difference between 4G vs 4G LTE or are they they same?

Hello I3kc,

Wecome to the community!

There can be a difference between 4G and 4G LTE. If your phone differentiates between the two, then yes there is. However, some phones indicate 4G for LTE so they would be the same. Confusing, I know...

Let me try to explain. Firstly, the two main networks for data are the UMTS or WCDMA ('3G') network and the LTE network (sometimes referred to as 4G). You can also get data on the GSM or 2G (E) network, but it would be rather slow. The data protocols used on the UMTS or '3G' network are HSPA (H) and HSPA+ (H+). The HSPA is usually considered 3G, while the HSPA+ is considered 4G. Different phones will use differing designations.

Long-term evolution or LTE is the other main network for data. LTE is technically considered 4G, however, many phones and service providers will usually just refer to it as LTE. **edit** There are some providers without LTE networks advertising 4G, offering H+ service.** To prevent confusion, people will use 4G LTE vs 4G. I have previous provided more detailed explanations so feel free to peruse some of my earlier posts.

**edit** So in your case, you're connected to the UMTS ('3G') network using the HSPA+ (H+) data protocol.** 

If you phone has the 4G LTE option, that setting (2G, 3G, 4G, 4GLTE) should be chosen to allow access the LTE network.

Since the phone is LTE-capable, it should be using ltemobile.apn. You can verify the settings here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

i3kc

Thank you for your quick response.

I have already configured for LTE, but the phone doesn't seem to recognise Fido 4G LTE network.

I have searched and could not find a distinct answer and most other people with similar issues with this Brand of phone gave up.  I like the phone and was hoping to make it work.

This is likely a hardware issue and I will look for a new phone.

Thank you.