Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

$45/phone "Set up fee" not waived for two Iphone 11 purchased at Walmart

Andrew6411
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hello,

I purchased 2 iphone11 64 GB on promotion from Walmart at Heartland on Jan. 3 2021. I am an existing account holder with Fido. Upon enquiring about the set up fee waive off, I was advised by the sales adviser at the store that the setup fee of $45 per phone cannot be waived off upfront by him, He however assured me that he had put a note to Fido to waive $90 at the back end and the credit will show up generally in the 2nd bill by Fido. I received my first phone bill in Jan 2021 and saw that I was charged the $90 setup fee for 2 phones.As advised, I waited for the 2nd phone bill to see a credit of $90. I received the 2nd bill yesterday but unfortunately did not see any credit of $90 on the bill.

I signed up for the promotional deal on the phones with an assurance that the setup fee will be waived off. So why I am being charged this fee?. This offer was available only at the storefront at that time and not online. So, please do not advise me that the setup fee would not be charged had I purchased them online and set them up by myself. I would appreciate it if somebody could look into this issue and get back to me .

Thanks 

Andrew 

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Andrew6411,

Welcome to the community!

@Andrew6411 wrote:..please do not advise me that the setup fee would not be charged had I purchased them online and set them up by myself...

I understand you do not wish to be advised of that information, however, the website states: The Setup Service Fee is waived through self-serve on fido.ca (but not through Live Chat and Customer Service)(taken from Full Details here). Fido does not currently have any other promotions to waive set-up or activation fees.

@Andrew6411 wrote:..I signed up for the promotional deal on the phones with an assurance that the setup fee will be waived off. ...

The assurance you received was from a Walmart employee. However, Walmart serves as a third-party reseller, similar to Best Buy, Costco, Wireless Wave, etc. The people who work at those locations don't actually work for the mobile providers. That employee had no authority to assure you that any set-up fees would be waived on Fido's behalf. In addition, you note that the offer was only available at the storefront at that time and not online. That means that specific promotion was offered by Walmart and not by Fido. The individual stores and resellers can often have their own promotions in addition to those provided on Fido.ca. Some past third-party promotions have included free headphones, portable power banks, etc. Yes, some of those promotions even included waiving set-up fees. However, it would be up to those particular third-parties or individual stores to honour those offers. While the service provider you chose was with Fido, the promotion would have been a third-party sale and any issues would have to be dealt with by the that particular store. In this case, you might need to escalate matters with that Walmart's mobile department. It is their employee who offered to put the note to waive the set-up fees, not anyone working for Fido.

You should also note that Fido does not offer customer services via email. If you would like to discuss your situation, you would need to contact customer service. Alternatively, you might consider sending @FidoSolutions a PM. Once they verify some information, they'll also be able to access your account. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers