modem randomly reboots driving me MAD

I'm a Contributor Level 2 Fidopls
I'm a Contributor Level 2

modem randomly reboots driving me MAD

I signed up for Fido internet near the beginning of this month and oh my god it's been nothing but craziness.

The cable modem (Hitron CGN3AMF), just randomly reboots itself doesn't matter if it's in Gateway mode or Bridge mode.

At first it was kinda okay for about 2 weeks in Gateway mode, ( I use my router behind it), then the problems started to appear nonstop.

a little timeline of events:

prior to the 17th of Oct, modem was in Gateway mode in front of a router. Netgear WNR2000v2, but since then been replaced by another better router TP-LINK Archer C8 v2 AC1750. Modem was restarted(unplugged) almost every 2-3 days.

2016-10-17 10:14 modem was in Bridge mode, rebooted for no reason, no "machine name" (reverse DNS) found which I found strange since this is a standard practise for all ISPs to track users with rDNS

2016-10-22 23:57 random reboot

2016-10-23 23:18 random reboot

2016-10-24 13:10 reboot
                      13:19 reboot
                      13:41 reboot

are you kidding me now. 3 reboots within 1 hour????!??

2016-10-25 13:33 unplugged everything, replaced power cord with a better one with surge protection, EMI/RFI noise filtering and anti-static protection etc. just trying to provide it with good clean power, same IP as before but this time a rDNS was found

2016-10-26 10:14 reboot
                      10:39 reboot
                      12:39 reboot
                      13:14 reboot, ARE YOU KIDDING ME AGAIN. guess my new power bar didn't help.
                      13:20 unplugged everything to restart, running till now so far working ok as time of posting 2016-10-26 19:06

I do not want to restart the freaking modem every day for it to work properly, I shouldn't have to anyway. Before I changed to Fido I had Rogers internet, and it had the same problem with their Cisco DPC3825 modem, although the frequency of it happening was not this high. Yes I know Fido IS Rogers and is using the same cable line, so I think it's probably a problem somewhere on the line itself instead of my home. And yes I have exchanged modem before with Rogers but it did NOT help so I highly doubt changing modem with Fido will do anything.

**Edited to add label

Accepted Solution

Re: modem randomly reboots driving me MAD

ok for those who might have the same problem and stumble onto this thread, here's a TLDR version on how to solve it if you had ruled out cabling problems, node problems, etc etc.

PUT THE MODEM INTO GATEWAY MODE AND WAIT FOR NEW FIRMWARE. just don't use it in bridge mode.

long story:

A second tech, Sean, came out on Oct 31, who was even more thorough than the first. He checked every cable, every junction, climbed up to the pole in front of my house, checked the node I'm on, checked the modem, checked the new modem that he brought, replaced some cable heads, bascially everything there is to check. Big thanks to Sean! 11/10 Smiley

When he left it was working fine and worked for a few hours before the reboots started again. arggghh

At this point I was quite confused because there really is nothing else to check as Sean checked everything.

Well then, I called into tech support yesterday Nov 1st while the modem was rebooting on its own, hoping to show support that it was still doing it. But unfortunately the phone's self-serve menu and the transfer from 1st tier to 2nd tier support was too long, the modem finished rebooting already when the tech logged into it. I told him to check its logs and he did, and confirmed the reboots.

Then he told me the following

[quote]
Currently we are aware there is an issue with the firmware on Hitron modems causing it to loose signal and reboot when it's in bridge mode while there is another router connected to it.

There is a new firmware version being tested that will fix this issue and going to be rolled out soon but unfortunately at this time we do not have an ETA on when that will happen.
[/quote]

So I guess this is an official acknowledgment there is something wrong with the modem. And the only way to solve this currently, is to put the modem into Gateway mode and never in Bridge mode. I did put it in gateway and now double-natting with my own router, and so far it's been working ok. Hopefully it won't reboot on its own again fingers crossed though.

And this firmware from Fido's parent company Rogers is probably the new one

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Getting_connected/thread-id/33158

I wonder when we'll get it since that thread is a few months old already.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 27
Former Moderator FidoMegan
Former Moderator

Hey @Kappa1

Can you try these steps: 

1. Check if the modem power plug is connected to a power bar. If it is try connecting the modem directly to a wall socket for a few days and see if this changes anything.

2. Putting the modem into Gateway mode or Enabling the Residential Gateway Function will turn back on the wireless portion of our device, meaning you wont need to use your own router. This is how we recommend all customer use our service, with the built in router of our device. 

3. You can also disable the UPNP capability in your modem. 
    -  UPNP is for the automatic discovery of other Plug n Play devices on the network. If you don't use file sharing between local network computers, or shared printers on the network then its unlikely you will need it enabled.

4. Are you using any new hardware since the issues started.  Some new devices could cause the modem to reboot when connected (such as a new laptop, wireless mouse, Google ChromeCast)? 

Can you you try all of this and let us know what happens? 

Thanks! Very_Happy 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 2 Adam127
I'm a Participant Level 2

Hi @FidoMegan

I've been having the issue with modem restarting since I got my new laptop back in May. The modem restarts whenever I connect this specific laptop to home wifi, otherwise it's pretty stable. After it restarts it stays while I am using the laptop by disconnect every once in a while. What should I do in this case? 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 27

Hey @Adam127

That shouldn't happen Sad

Have you contacted our tech support regarding this? They'll be able to diagnose the problem to see what's going on, and swap out the modem if necessary!

You can find the ways to reach them here.

Hope that helps Smiley 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 2 Adam127

Thank you for the reply @FidoNick.

Yes I called Fido tech support and they did analysis on their end  on the phone for almost an hour and concluded that the modem is OK and the problem is with the laptop and did not offer any other help!

When I use the laptop in other places (example at work or tethering on my phone) I don't see the issue. Also I tried connecting the same laptop to another Fido modem at my friend's house and the issue happened there as well.

I saw in @FidoMegan's reponse a mention of possibility of the issue arising from new hardware such as a new laptop, so I was hoping to get a hint from there. I appreciate any ideas.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 27

Thanks for clarifying @Adam127!

I've checked things out, and it seems the wi-fi card in your laptop, may be incompatible with the wireless adapter in our modem. This isn't a very common situation, but it does unfortunately happen with certain devices. 

To confirm this, can you try out the Ethernet cable to see if the same thing happens? It should work with the Ethernet cable!

I understand the cabled connection may not be ideal though, some alternatives are to use your own modem and putting ours in bridge mode, or getting an external wireless USB adaptor for your laptop.

I hope this helps out, keep us posted on any updates! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 1 Harley12
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hello,  I've been having the same issue with a randomly and frequently resetting modem (several times an hour) for a couple months now.  I've already spoken to a helpful tech who diagnosed the problem initially and went through the possible fixes listed here (gateway mode, change location of modem and plug into another outlet directly, turn off upnp, etc).

The tech eventually advised to exchange the modem in store and made a note on my account.  I've since wasted several hours in store with numerous failed attempts to exchange.  The reps always have a system issue with processing the exchange and the people they phone for help are unable to either, and the opened tickets arent resolved or followed up on.

Can someone please contact me and arrange for a resolution.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 21 of 27
Moderator (inactive) FidoRachel
Moderator (inactive)

Messaging you right away @Harley12

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 22 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 1 cc96ai1
I'm a Participant Level 1

I have the same problem, the modem keep randomly reboot, 

can I know how to resolve it?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 23 of 27
Former Moderator FidoMaria
Former Moderator

Hi @cc96ai1 & welcome to the Community!

Have you tried any of the suggestions in this thread?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 24 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 3 RafaelSacco
I'm a Participant Level 3

The only way I could fix that was setting up my notebook to G only.

Check this link and change you PC/Notebook to 02 - 11g

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-802-11n-mode-wireless-connection-windows-8

I hope it helps you.

Rafael.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 25 of 27
I'm a Participant Level 2 cottonclub

ive gone though the same. unbelievable. fido needs a class action lawsuit for selling a defective product.

...bail.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 26 of 27

Hi @cottonclub,

That's certainly not the experience we aim for nor the impression we want to leave you.

We'll be sending you a PM shortly to review your account. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 27 of 27