cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

increase WIFI coverage area - Boost WIFI signal

gilsophie
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, we have a very weak wifi signal, and in some areas on the home litterally no wifi. In the photo is the router we have from Fido. Can anyone receommend or advise on ways / additional equipment to buy in order to increase the area coverage of WIFI in the house?

Many thanks in advance

Fido Router.jpg

3 REPLIES 3

MrPizdo
I'm a participant level 2

I concur. After switching to this router (previous model stopped working and had to get replaced. 3-4yr), it's 2.4 wifi range has dropped to about 40-60ft (on window sill and me walking away from it). So far not happy with it. However LAN speeds are phenomenal for the price. 

MrPizdo

Recently switched the Wi-Fi channel I was on (default 1) which probably everyone in the neighborhood is on. And it seems to be a bit better. (3 and 9 are good options from what I read). 

Can be done through modem / 2.4 setting / channel setting. 

Good morning @gilsophie , I understand that you are looking to improve your wifi coverage in your house. I had the same problem. I bought a Wi-Fi extender and placed it closer to where I needed better signals. It was up and running in 10 minutes,  I picked up an inexpensive tp link extender and all you have to do is plug into an electrical outlet close to your modem, pair it using the wps button on the router and extender. Once they are paired,  you can the move the extender closer to where you want it and plug into power again and all should be good to go. Another option if you have ethernet outlets is to use another router as a repeater, but I don't think this would apply for you. Best option is a Wi-Fi extender. They range anywhere in price from around 19 dollars into the hundreds. Mine cost $20 about 10 years ago and still working. Hope that helps, cheers