cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

credit check for fido home internet for almost 15 year customer

Thinesht86
I'm a participant level 3

hi, I would like to know what reasons would you need to do a hard check on my credit  causing it to drop by 20 points. I have been with fido for almost 15 years. I understand if its a new customer and fido is wary but to a loyal customer of this length doesn't make sense. Please explain thank you

15 REPLIES 15

KyleL
I'm a participant level 1

They DO hard check your credit. I had my hard credit check today when I called to request for Fido Home Internet, althought I am not too concerned about this check, I do want to speak out to whoever is already a fido phone customer that, they DO conduct a hard credit check in order to go through with the home internet, not an internal soft check dispite what all of the fido staffs are saying in this forum. 

dame123

I signed up for Fido Internet in September - hard credit check (expected). 

In December, I wanted to sign up for wireless home phone, and the agent asked if I agree to an internal credit check. I asked if that's the same as a soft credit check, and she said that she doesn't know what that is. Regardless, I went ahead with it as internal should mean soft. A month later, I check my credit score and it was a hard credit check (if I knew it was a hard check I wouldn't have gone ahead with it) and dropped my score considerably. 

So my question is, since the comments above from Fido Moderators state that existing customers should only have internal evaluations, why was mine external?

Hey @dame123

We will send you a PM on the community so we can look into it. Keep an eye on your inbox!

incognito80
I'm a participant level 2

I just had this same conversation while attempting to sign up for Fido's internet service. I've been a Fido customer for 12 years and the first agent I spoke to said there is a mandatory hard credit check. He then proceeded to send me to Fido's credit department when I asked the reason why. The credit dept. then said they don't deal with this and sent me back to another customer service agent. Thankfully this frustrating interaction ended with the new agent who confirmed that it's an internal Fido credit check for existing Fido + Rogers customers. This just happened today, so let's see what happens when I get my Equifax report next month!

Hey @incognito80

If you're already a customer, the credit check is internal. I'm sorry that you were given different information! 

incognito80

Thanks! Appreciate the clarification!

BTW - Received my modem today and hooked everything up and am getting consistently awesome speeds! Happy with the switch. 

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Thinesht86,

First off thanks so much for your long time loyalty, we truly appreciate it! 

If you currently have an active wireless account with us, the credit evaluation should've been internal. 

We need to run an internal credit evaluation even if you have a Wireless service with us before we can activate Fido Home Internet services. The internal check doesn’t reach the credit bureau so it doesn't impact your credit score. We just need to look at your payment history with us to see how many products we can offer you.

We can definitely take a closer look at happened with you and see what can be done. Just a heads up that for any account specific questions, you can contact us here. Exceptionally, we can also send you a PM on the Community, let us know what you prefer. 

Thinesht86

Hi thank you for your reply, please do PM me, it was a hard inquiry not internal as you are suggesting.

Hey @Thinesht86,

The situation definitely sounds odd. On average, your credit score should only decrease by 5-10 points for a hard inquiry. Have you tried contacting Trans Union or Equifax to find out why you've had such a drop in your score? If not, I suggest contacting them for more information.

I hope that helps! 

Thinesht86

My question still stands, Is it standard procedure for post paid customers of fido to be credit checked for adding home internet. I am a long time customer in good standing not a brand new one. This hard inquiry should have been an internal one not something that goes to the credit bearu, I am stressing the fact that I am not a new customer. Thank you.

We do a credit evaluation for the activation of your Fido Internet service even if you're currently a Fido customer. 

Credit evaluations are done when:

- A new customer activates an account

- An existing customer whose previous credit result expired :

• Activates a new line on an existing account
  • Activates a new account

I hope that clarifies things. 

Thinesht86

Ok i got it, Fido doesn't trust me to pay my bills, k thx. No further correspondence needed.

That's really not the impression we want you to have @Thinesht86. We appreciate you being with us for years, however an internal credit evaluation is still required when activating a new wireless line or a Home Internet account, this is pretty standard with all companies. 

I'll send you a PM to take a closer look at your Internet account though.

Talk soon! 

ghhggh

Well, I cannot say how Fido compares with others because I have not had any other expereince but let me share the number of credit checks that was carried out.

In April -- "Hard" Credit check for a postpaid mobile line

In August - "Hard" again when I added home internet

In August - And three days later, again "Hard" when I added an extra line.

I certainly think Fido could do away with some of these "hard" credit check. 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @ghhggh

We can assure you that for existing customers, credit evaluations will always be internal. We'll be happy to take a closer look at your account and to review the recent changes made.

We'll be sending you a PM shortly. Talk to you soon Smiley