cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow or no 5G

SG1953
I'm a participant level 2

My internet kept cutting out and the modem would sit trying to connect. Fido sent rogers tech out today who replaced my modem and left before it was up and running.  

This newer one has band steering enabled and nothing could connect to wifi. My new TV couldn't even connect to Netflix.  

I talked to support and they disabled band steering, now I have the 2.4 or 5G options again. Even with my tv connected to 5G, it can't connect consistently.  Trying to stream Netflix and it stops to load or even cuts off completely.  My 5G wifi isn't always showing up as option. 

Anyone have experience with this? What can I do?

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello SG1953,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your internet. Do you live in a single dwelling or are there neighbours in close proximity (ie apartment or condominium)? Have you verified that the channel your 5GHz Wifi is not suffering from interference from other modem/routers? The 5GHz is said to suffer less from interference, but that was because there are generally fewer people using that band versus 2.4GHz. However, more and more devices are now able to use 5GHz (see here).

If your connection is inconsistent, it's possibly due to signal interference. You might consider seeing if you can change the frequency used. Alternatively, if you live in a house, and the modem/router is a distance from your television, you should note that 5GHz signals don't travel as far as 2.4GHz. Even if you live in an apartment or condominum, signals could be significantly attenuated if having to pass through walls (depending on bulding materials). If that is the case, are you able to relocate the modem/router? Are you able to see if the 2.5GHz will work for your television?

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

SG1953

Good morning!

I never had this issue with my previous modem, just the new one given yesterday. 

I live in a house and the modem is less than 5 ft from the TV. 

We tried the 2.4G on numerous devices (the tv, my google nest for music) and it just feeezes or stays in "loading". 

Today I can't even see the 5G as an option. 

As for location, its the only place the modem can go, according to the tech who originally set us up last year when we bought the house. 

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. Have you attempted to re-initiate the modem? Additionally, are you able to try accessing the internet using an ethernet cable? If you're having issues with both Wifi bands, it's possible there is an issue with the modem itself. I understand they had just replaced the modem, however, as you noted, it was not tested before they left.

If restarting the modem does not help, your best option would be to re-contact technical support. They would be better able to help troubleshoot any issues you may be having. They may also be able to replace the modem again, if required. They may also be able to troubleshoot any issues on your line, if any.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers