cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hitron CGN3U wfif is terrible, I miss the modem I swapped in for

thematty
I'm a participant level 1

So I just got this new (to me) modem from fido on Tuesday, hook it up and had some issues staying connected and the speed tests were half as fast than ethernet. Then I did sone site surveys to ensure I'm not using common channels, and that made things even worse, getting speeds as low as 4mbps. So I bump it back to factory settings. Then for the next few days my phone, tablet and laptop have to reconnect every so often, and can't detect the 2.4Ghz SSID. Any one else have an issue with this modem or did I just get a lemon?

5 REPLIES 5

Handy1

Yah - have the exact same issue. Driving me nuts.

Did you ever get the issue fixed??

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Handy1!

This shouldn't be happening and you should be getting a consistent connection and advertised speeds depending on your package Smiley

Can you please reach out to tech support at 1-888-259-3436 so they can check things out?

Thanks! 

FidoSaad
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there @thematty

Your modem should allow your devices to connect to both 2.4 and 5 GHz.

That said, were you experiencing the same situation before changing your settings?

However, we would suggest that you reach out to our home internet technical support team by phone or live chat. They are available 24/7 and would be able to take a closer look and confirm if there's any underlying issue with the modem.

spukk

I also have similiar issue. The coverage is very poor -- my iphone 6 can't find the wifi at around 3 meter away the modem. I know iphone 6 is old. But my iphone xs get siginificant weak signal compare to my previous modem (Bell home 2000). I chat with technical support and he told me I am using the latest one. Nothing can do.

I am planning to buy a new modem to replace it

SIPN
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Due to placement of my modem (which is in a closet) I don't use the built-in Wifi. Instead I use a Wireless Access Point (WAP) that is in my living space & close to my phones, tablets and other WiFi devices. The WAP then runs a ethernet cable back to the modem. It works pretty well as I can get -50dbm to -60dbm signal on all my Wifi connections.