cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my DOCSIS WAN reading good?

yydmay
I'm a participant level 2

I connected my laptop directly to modem and modem is in bridge mode. here is what I get, why port 5 shows unsupported? this is Hitron CODA modem, its connected directly to the cable, no splitters in between.

the reason I am asking is that my discord stopped working all the sudden. it was working couple of days ago but not it shows RTC disconnected in discord. My downstream has 32 channels, I only capture screenshot of top part. is modem defective? or cable issue?

yydmay_0-1611418208550.png

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Yydmay,

Welcome to the community!

@yydmay wrote:...I connected my laptop directly to modem and modem is in bridge mode. ...this is Hitron CODA modem, its connected directly to the cable, no splitters in between...

I'm not sure if this is related to your problem, however, are you also using a separate router? Bridge mode is used when connecting to a separate router. When in bridge mode, you shouldn't connect anything to the modem directly (other than the second router). It only acts as a bridge to connect the router to the internet.

When adding internet at home, you're essentially creating a mini-network. Every device on that network needs to have a unique address. Generally, that address is usually referred to as an IP address. The main function of a router is to provide each connected device a unique IP address so it knows where to direct data. To do so, it uses dynamic host configuration protocol (DHCP). Everytime a device connects, the router assigns it an IP address. Depending on other connected devices, the exact IP address might change from connection to connection. Most routers also allow users to set static IP address so a particular device can have the same address everytime it connects.

Generally, having two devices (modem and router) assign IP addresses not a very good idea since it's possible each server could assign the same IP address to different devices. So either the modem or router can assign IP address, not both. With the modem in bridge mode, the router acts as DHCP server. Connecting your laptop directly to the modem (bridge mode) would not assign an IP address to access the internet properly. 

If you need to plug devices in directly into your modem (and you also have a router), you could disable bridge mode in your modem so that it functions as DHCP server. You would then need to place your router in repeater mode (disables DHCP). The IP address for any devices connected to the router would be provided by the modem.

If you do not have a separate router, then your modem should not be in bridge mode. It would need to function as DHCP server.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

yydmay

I do have a router behind mode. so my configuration is modem(bridge mode)<-router -> all wifi devices, this is my normal configuration, my laptop is on wifi, I can get online no issues, the problem is that my discord suddenly stopped working, to rule out possible issues, I rebooted my laptop, didn't fix, I rebooted my router, didn't fix, rebooted modem. didn't fix, then I powered off my router, unplugged network cable from modem, and connected directly to my laptop(my laptop has a RJ45 port), then run discord again, still didn't fix the issue. the screenshot was taken when my laptop was conntected directly to modem via RJ45 cable. It made me believe its either modem or fido network that having problems. I'd like to rule out the problem on modem first, so my question is that is all the reading normal? if you look at my screenshot, port 5 shows unsupported while other ports have data. is it normal? shouldn't all ports have data? this looks to me either modem is defective or something wrong with the wiring outside of my house

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information.

@yydmay wrote:....unplugged network cable from modem, and connected directly to my laptop(my laptop has a RJ45 port), then run discord again, still didn't fix the issue. the screenshot was taken when my laptop was conntected directly to modem via RJ45 cable...

If you plugged in your laptop directly into the modem without disabling bridge mode, I wouldn't expect any internet to work properly as it would not have been assigned IP address (DHCP disabled).

Firstly, I'm not an expert in this area. However, as far as I am aware, Port 5 does not get used for data transfer. It is assigned for protocol use (see here). That could explain what you noted in your screen captures.

You might consider disabling bridge mode on the modem and connecting your laptop directly to the modem to see if you can connect that way.

Have you had a chance to try some other Discord troubleshooting (see here and here). The latter link has a RTC connecting test.

If you are still having issues, you might consider contacting techincal support. They might be better able to provide troubleshooting assistance.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

SHansen
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Exact same issue here. Was working perfectly fine the other day. Now when I open Discord and try to join Voice Channels it gets stuck at RTC Connecting / No Route. I tried all the trouble shooting solutions online but the issue is related to either Fido internet or the actual modem/Router. I have tried ethernet, wifi, and mobile devices and all have the same issue. If I disconnect from Fido Internet and use cell data it works fine. When running WebRTC tests, it fails with reflexive/UDP protocal connections and IPv6.

I've looked up tons of threads online and there doesn't seem to be any clear solutions. Please let me know if you find one. Extremely frustrating to deal with.

yydmay

I was going to factory reset modem, that would be last step before calling tech support. I tested discord this morning before I proceed and guess what, everything is working now. after 2 days of outage, countless reboots of router, modem and laptop, everything is back to normal.