cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Iptv blocked

Madjack
I'm a participant level 2

I have an iptv subscription that was working well, but now it will no longer stream anything! Why?

3 REPLIES 3

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Madjack,

Since IPTV is not legal this is not the place to get help with it. 

Madjack

So rogers ignite aka iptv is not legal??

Hello Madjack,

Welcome to the community!

I don't think something as extensive as IPTV can be generalised to be legal or illegal. The legality of IPTV depends on the service in question. IPTV is legal as long as the service provider holds the correct licenses for all the content it provides (taken from here).

Even though Rogers Ignite is IPTV, the provider of the content (Rogers) is a broadcast network with the rights to air the content (as they would via cable) so the service would be legal. Similarly, over-the-top (OTT) services (ie Netflix, Amazon Prime, or Hulu, etc) are also legal because they have the rights to air the content they stream. On the other hand, the IPTV providers of concern are the ones operating without proper licences from content owners. In fact, I believe there are legal IPTV providers operating in Canada (see here and here).

That said, issues have been brought to the courts regarding alleged copyright infringement (see here). I do not know which subscription is not working for you anymore. However, it's possible that similar cases have been brought to light regarding other IPTV providers.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers