cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido internet down ... and up ... and down

GeraldR
I'm a contributor level 2

Since Thursday last, we have been having problems with internet service going up and down or download speed going too low to support zoom calls or video streaming. This tends to come in bursts, for example a 1 hour zoom call was interrupted 6 times, a 18 minute youtube video dropped out 5 times and a netflix episode hung up on loading about 5 times and dropped out 3 times; the usual error report was no internet or slow internet which is measured at 0 to 10 MB/sec. Several times when contacting Fido be phone the automated attendant a) said there was no outage while the internet was down and b) told me I could get faster service using fido.ca which I couldn't access because the internet was down and because fido.ca was also inaccesible using my cell phone data service (unrelated since my cell phone is configured to not drop into our wifi). The voice call was also challenging as they automation doesn't allow very much time to type in the 9 digit account number; once connected, after being on hold (again it suggested I use the internet) for 9 minutes, the call was dropped and logged as a missed call!? Next time, after 5 minutes, I was offered a call back and after several minutes I was called back and then had to provide my account information and strangely the number they called me on; after a long discussion I was passed on to a technical representative who again asked for my account information (apparently, putting in the 9 digit account number is just a time wasting exercise) and I eventually learned that there was problems with some of the Rogers internet modems around the area and they were being serviced: this was not an entire surprise as the place where the main cable comes to our village is on the main road at the edge of town on a hill (a highly visible spot) and Rogers trucks have been sitting there off and on for weeks and one whole day a few days ago. The 'resolution' is that I will receive a text if.when the problem is fixed ... oh and the issue with fido.ca being offline might be fixed by purchasing a still larger data plan for my cell phone!? After a morning of more down than up, we are now in a period of up with 25 Mbps download -- fun while it lasts. 

10 REPLIES 10

GeraldR

Yesterday ... I thought our troubles had gone away but now it seems they're her to stay. Yep, after a period of stable service, the past few days were pocked by minor drop-outs then yesterday April 25, up and down and increasingly down from mid afternoon to 6:30 pm and mostly down later in the day: at some points the internet was there but no Domain Name Servers were online. Also, around 4, I placed a long distance call on my cell and had to try multiple times before the call went through - at one point it popped up a dialog asking me to choose a number to call from a list of one number! By 6:45 pm we were able to get on and stay on: birthday zoom at 7:00 ... phew!

GeraldR

8:00 AM to 8:45 - up and down 6 times. The saga goes on and on.

I'm sorry to learn it's still ongoing! Did you contact tech support to see if they have any updates on the resolution? 

I'm sorry to learn it's still ongoing! Did you contact tech support to see if they have any updates on the resolution? 

GeraldR

I spent about 40 minutes in all first on hold and then waiting for a call back then chatting with a service person and eventually with a technician; even though the automation has you input contract info, neither person knew who I was or where and both needed the same info again and again. Don't know what they did but things got generally better almost immediately, Since then we've the frequency of outages has dropped to only a few times a day and don't last very long (longest was ~5 minutes) ... until today when starting around noon time, everything went south again being down and up and down where resetting the modem didn't help and internet access from my cell phone was also intermittent and at times even fido.ca was unavailable; but now, finally, internet has been stable for 20 minutes or so. It's very annoying especially when my wife has to do online meetings and reading sessions. "When it comes to the website, from what I gather, you're unable to access it when using mobile data on your phone? 

That shouldn't be the case" it wasn't a problem previously - there were only issues with the internet modem AND I don't let my phone tap into the WiFi - but today even the phone was having issues such as timing out waiting for a page and sometimes just indicating that it wasn't accessible. So, since it shouldn't be the case, that's why I tried to use the web from my phone, but it was up and down almost as much.

Hey @GeraldR

I'm sorry to read that you're having trouble with your internet. Just to clarify, were you able to speak with tech support?

GeraldR

Yes, as I said, I spoke with a technician.

FidoValerie

Hey @GeraldR Smiley

I'm sorry to hear about your recent troubles with the Home Internet service.

Our Tech Support teams are definitely doing their best to resolve this as quickly as possible, and I do apologize about any inconvenience this has caused!

When it comes to the website, from what I gather, you're unable to access it when using mobile data on your phone? 

That shouldn't be the case.

Are you experiencing the same thing on other devices as well?

GeraldR

At that time when internet wasn't working, I couldn't access this website using the internet nor using my cell phone - I agree it shouldn't be the case but it was exactly the case.

Oh, I see! Thank you for the clarification. Smiley

Has this been resolved, since your original post?