Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido home internet connection drop outs

Krispychik3n
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Good afternoon everyone,

We are new to the Fido internet family, and wanted some feedback regarding the quality of service other customers have been receiving.  The reason I ask is that we have noticed that several times over the course of the day our connection seems to drop out. This usually happens around 2 PM consistently (odd....yes I realise!) and later on in the evening at random.  All devices will simultaneously loose the connection, and when the modem/router is inspected only the upper green power light is on.  The modem does a reboot and eventually the connection resumes.  The is very frustrating for us as we were previously using another Rogers network re-seller (Start.ca) and did not deal with the issue this frequently.

To date, I have been in contact with Technical Support approximately 4 times and have followed all of their suggestions. These include moving the modem to a new location, plugging the modem directly into a wall outlet sans extension cord, and rebooting the unit.  A technician came by to inspect our coax feed from the street and confirmed our signal is very clean. This leads me to beleive the concern is modem related, and I have thus signed up for the new Firmware trial in order to provide some feedback to Fido.

If anyone else is working around this concern please feel free to chime in.  Hopefully this is an isolated event.

Best regards!

***Edited to add labels***

35 REPLIES 35

qkhader81
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

hello fido support,

i singed up with fido internet last week, and been having the same problem as every one on this thread, constant connection drop outs, around 4 times a day, please note i have called fido support over 3 times and followed all suggested steps, and  i just got my modem replaced and still same issue.

also please note that i was with rogers for over 8 years on the same address and never had an issue, and i know you guys are the same company all have changed is the modem type.

please try to help or i would be forced to find a different provider.

thanks

Hey @qkhader81

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

We definitely wouldn't want to see you go. Would you like to participate in our Firmware Trial? It might help with some of the issues you're experimenting.

Let me know, I'd be happy to send you a PM and get this started. 

Paul905
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello... I'm new with Fido and I'm curious why should we the people have to participate with the Firmware and not just be available, period? A Firmware is supposedly to update any device to make things better, again so why isn't it just automatically given like else where, thanks

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Paul905!

The trial firmware gets tested thoroughly by our teams prior to release and we provide our customers the chance to also test it in order to gather their feedback. By signing up for the trial you can let us know if anything needs to be changed after testing it with your day to day internet use. From there, we can take make the necessary updates before releasing it to the public Smiley

I hope this clears it up! The firmware is a trial and we want to be sure it's ready before releasing it to everyone! 

mrraffu

Hi Nick,

While we appreciate your support in this regard in letting us provide feedback after testing the firmware update, it also locks other useful options and user changes. For e.g, I do not know how many people knows that there is an Android App for Hitron Coda modem which we can use to manage the modem settings and will enable the full control of the modem to the users - it does not work.

Last time when I requested for technical support for the same connectivity dropouts, Fido authorized - third party technical expert came to our home, checked the connectivity - (the service was down) and promised that they will restore the connectivity and will come back to verify. The first part of restoring connectivity was fulfilled after 24 hours, however, the technical expert did not returned, neither there was any communication from Fido.

On a different note, I have not received any confimation from fido after I signed up the firmware update, that it has been done, or it is on its way.  Moreover, the sudden dropouts of connectivity still does happens in my case, however the number of times it happens and the time interval has changed, which requires complete modem reset everytime it happens = issue still exist.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for sharing @mrraffu!

In terms of an app for the modem it may exist however the modem we provided uses our firmware and it may not be compatible with that application. It's best to manage the modem through your browser.

You also mentioned some trouble with the tech that was scheduled. Did you by any chance get back to technical support to see what happened with that? If an appointment was missed they can always reschedule it and someone will definitely come by!

Finally, in terms of the trial, once you register the firmware is pushed to your modem in about a week. There's no notification for this as it's done automatically. Have you had the chance to check what firmware you're on? You can do that by logging into the modem via a browser and typing 192.168.0.1 into the address bar. The default username and password is cusadmin/password.  If Easy Connect was used to setup the wireless network, the password will be the same as the wireless password. By checking this, you'll be able to see if you have the trial version! The list of firmwares can be found here.  That's also the place you can leave any feedback regarding the trial! 

I hope this info helps out, the Community is here for you if you have other questions! 

Paul905

It seems many are having connectivity issues with these boxes, why doesn't Fido just focus on providing the internet and let the consumers decide which wireless router they prefer to use. It seems Fido/Rogers is using its consumers as guinea pigs

Hey @Paul905,

Thanks for taking the time to share your feedback, we much appreciate it! At this time, only our modem can be used, but rest assured your feedback will be forwarded to the right team. Smiley

mrraffu

Hello Nick,

Thanks and appreciate your prompt reply.  Neither I heard back from technician, nor I have called Fido Technical support, as most of the times we have to wait to speak to a real person, which is sometimes not possible during workhours.  Other best option is to connect to fido forum, which I have opted for.  

While i agree that, it is best to connect to Hitron Coda modem with the web-browser, however, it is also good to have mobile app to manage the modem in this technically savvy world with your firmware installed.  This is my feedback and review  - there are several modems routers which comes with easy app connectivity to enable (parental control) internet rules like QOS, VPN etc,.  Don't have to turn on desktop/laptop everytime to turn off or on those rules.

For the very same reason I have invested $250 for ASUS wireless router with all the available options and for its ease of use - eventhough Hitron Coda modem has wifi connectivity.  Asus allows me to run/manage the internet usage efficiently to enable parental controls and other options available.

I weill check the firmware tonight.  Thanks once again for your reply and suggesstions.

Polecat
I'm a participant level 3

I switched from Bell to Fido because of the price and with Bell I never had so many internet drop outs as I do with Fido. Actually I don't think I had any drop outs with Bell. I did call  fidos customer service and they switched out the modem but it's the same thing, drop outs 2-3 times in a 24 hour period. My house is quite internet automated, heating, door, lights, security cams and I keep getting notifications that they lost internet contact. I also miss how easy it was to mac filter with Bell and when I asked a service tech about the problems I was having with Fido's mac filtering he said that is used for businesses and that I shouldn't need to use it. The plus side, the techs have been pleasant to work with and when the network is working it works fairly well. Just stop the drop outs

Hey Polecat!

I'm sad to see that you've been experiencing dropped connection with your home internet service!

I believe I have a suggestion that will help with that. Have you considered participating in our Firmware Trial?

Let us know!

Polecat

I did try to enroll back in September but I must have done something wrong because it was never upgraded. I will try again.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Krispychik3n!

Thanks for sharing your feedback! This isn't an issue we've heard of before, so it may be the modem that is having a problem. Has the modem been swapped at all after speaking with tech support? 

I see you signed up for the Firmware Trial though. Keep us posted if that helps out or not Smiley

Hi there @FidoNick,

Thanks for the quick reply.

I can confirm the Firmware update v.4.5.8.35 has been pushed to my modem.Hopefully this works well for us.

Unfortunately, we experienced the all to familiar 2pm connection loss again today at 2:11pm. Fingers crossed there are no issues around that time tomorrow. I will share results here and in the feedback thread for the firmware upgrade.

Cheers.

Thanks for keeping us posted @Krispychik3n!

Let us know how it goes tomorrow in our Feedback thread Smiley