Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido home internet connection drop outs

Krispychik3n
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Good afternoon everyone,

We are new to the Fido internet family, and wanted some feedback regarding the quality of service other customers have been receiving.  The reason I ask is that we have noticed that several times over the course of the day our connection seems to drop out. This usually happens around 2 PM consistently (odd....yes I realise!) and later on in the evening at random.  All devices will simultaneously loose the connection, and when the modem/router is inspected only the upper green power light is on.  The modem does a reboot and eventually the connection resumes.  The is very frustrating for us as we were previously using another Rogers network re-seller (Start.ca) and did not deal with the issue this frequently.

To date, I have been in contact with Technical Support approximately 4 times and have followed all of their suggestions. These include moving the modem to a new location, plugging the modem directly into a wall outlet sans extension cord, and rebooting the unit.  A technician came by to inspect our coax feed from the street and confirmed our signal is very clean. This leads me to beleive the concern is modem related, and I have thus signed up for the new Firmware trial in order to provide some feedback to Fido.

If anyone else is working around this concern please feel free to chime in.  Hopefully this is an isolated event.

Best regards!

***Edited to add labels***

35 REPLIES 35

BethB
I'm a participant level 1

Incredibly frustrsting. Over several months our internet/wireless strength has diminished. Diwn to maybe one or two bars IN CITY. This was not like this at beginning with Fido. Looking at seitching providers

Hello  @BethB 

Sorry to learn that you are having trouble with your device. In order to assist you, it will be important to get in contat with our team. You can find all the ways to reach us here.

Hiten1

Hey I have the same issue and haven't found a solution yet.

planning to change the service 

Hey @Hiten1,

Welcome to the community! 

Did you get the chance to reach out to our internet tech support

Krispychik3n
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Hi all, OP here.

This issue was never resolved at our place. We choose to leave Fido in favour of another TPIA. Even after the forware updates we still experienced conpketely random connections losses. The modem would always reboot itself when this happened.

Our new provider allows us to use our own modem. I chose a modem that isn't designed around the Intel Puma 5/6/7 chipset. These are notorious for latency issues and I strongly suspect it was related to our concerns. Google it for yourselves.

Our new broadcomm based modem has been rock solid and our service very consistent since the switch.

No hard feelins towards Fido. They tried hard to help us but their choice of modem isn't giving them a chance. Note that this is my personal opinion only and I have no proof except for the problem free service we have enjoyed with our new modem.

Cheers to all and good luck with your connections!

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Krispychik3n,

I'm sorry to learn that the issue is back Sad

I sincerely understand where you're coming from, however, since the modem is at fault, these would be the two options available to have it exchanged.

I'll send you a PM to take a closer look.

We'll talk soon.

mrraffu
I'm a contributor level 1

I recently opted for Fido unlimited internet,  from the day one I  have noticed that several times in a day internet connection drop out. This usually happens around  9 AM consistently and later on in the evening randomly. 

When the modem/router is inspected only the upper green power light is on.  The modem does a reboot and eventually, the connection resumes or sometimes we may have to manually reboot the modem.

Any support would be appreciated.

Regards

Krispychik3n
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

mrraffu, the problem is back for me as well. Twice today while working my VDI program would lock and I would be kicked out of my work desktop. Working remotely from home when this happens is a huge inconvenience. Also, my wife complained 3 times last night that while watching Netflix the show would stop suddenly, buffer out, then force restart netflix on our FireTV. This type of inconsistent service does not meet my expectations.

Repair attempts to date:

-Moved modem/router to a new location.

-Plugged directly into a wall outlet and not into an extension cord.

-Swapped ipv4/6 dual mode to ipv4 only.

-Moved capable technology over to the 5G network from the 2.4G.

-Updated the modem/router firmware - currently Hitron 4.5.8.38T5

-Confirmed no splitters in the coaxial line - it's direct from the cable box.

-Rogers/Fido tech inspected the signal from the street and stated it was perfect - virtually no noise.

-More modem resets/unplugs than I care to count.

As a final step I will be putting the Hitron into bridge mode and setting up my old relic of a router - a Buffalo N station - to monitor network performance. I really think this is a modem/router concern affecting a small number of users.

Fido, please step up! This is unacceptable and we need your help!

Update: Spoke with tech support again. Nice woman. She determined very quickly that we have a hardware issue and the modem/router should be replaced. I have 2 options:

1- Visit a Fido store to have the modem replaced. The closest store to me is 36 kilometers away.

2- Have a modem shipped to my home which can take from 3 to 5 business days. During that time my internet service will be disconnected.

To put it nicely, I am not satisfied with either option. 

With all due respect, I came from a competitor (Start.ca) expecting the Fido internet service to be as spectacular as your wireless service is. Overall, this has been a poor experience and not one I would recommend to others. The brief time the service worked well is quickly forgotten when dealing with these issues.

Fido mods, is there anything that can be done in this situation?

Thanks for your time.

Deewick
I'm a participant level 2

I just got Fido home internet a few weeks ago. All of the sudden this week my modem started dropping internet every 10 minutes or so and rebooting itself. Technician came today and said that there's nothing wrong with the connection and that my modem is faulty. So I went to the store and traded for another modem. It was working fine for about 2 hours before it started doing the same thing again! I read on some older posts that it may be the firmware and that there was a firmware update trial, but that was a few months ago - at the current time for modems picked up at the Fido stores do I still have to update the firmware? if so, how do I do so? help is much appreciated - this is driving me mad.

Deewick

in addendum to previous post - I do not use a router so assuming the whole thing with Gateway/Bridging issue does not apply?

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Deewick!

I've moved your post to this thread as it deals with a similar topic.

The firmware trial can definitely help with what you described! We received your PM and we'll get you set up Smiley

Once set up, if you have any feedback on the trial just post it in this thread

mrraffu

I recently opted for Fido unlimited internet,  from the day one I  have noticed that several times in a day internet connection drop out. This usually happens around  9 AM consistently and later on in the evening randomly. 

When the modem/router is inspected only the upper green power light is on.  The modem does a reboot and eventually, the connection resumes or sometimes we may have to manually reboot the modem.

I sent PM for firmware trial, however, have not heard back from Fido?

Regards

Hey everyone.  I am happy to report that we have not experienced consistent connection loss since the firmware update a few months ago. As stated in my first post, you could set a clock to 2 pm when the modem rebooted for the first time each day early on in our Fido Home Internet subscription.  We hope others who have upgraded enjoy the same results. Cheers.

Hey @Krispychik3n,

We're happy to learn that your connexion improved since the update Smiley

Thanks for keeping the Community updated!

skingger

Hello Krispy Chik3n:

I recently switched over two of my properties to the Fido Internet service. I am having the exact same issues you are at both properties with the Internet service. It is very frustrating.

Please post when and if you get this solved.

Thank you

RafaelSacco
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

@skinggerwrote:

Hello Krispy Chik3n:

I recently switched over two of my properties to the Fido Internet service. I am having the exact same issues you are at both properties with the Internet service. It is very frustrating.

Please post when and if you get this solved.

Thank you

The only way I could fix that was setting up my notebook to G only.

Check this link and change you PC/Notebook to 02 - 11g

http://www.thewindowsclub.com/enable-802-11n-mode-wireless-connection-windows-8

I hope it helps you.

Rafael.

Hey @skingger!

Thanks for the feedback on our internet service Smiley

I suggest checking out Firmware Trial! It may help out with what you're experiencing.

mrraffu

I sent PM to fido solutions for firmware trial, however, have not received any reply?

Regards

Krispychik3n
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Don't worry, they will get back to you soon.  Keep an eye on the problem for me after the update. I found it helped for a few weeks only.   I did some digging and found out these modems have an Intel Puma6 chipset which is prone to this issue. No software or firmware patch has fixed it yet and there is a class action lawsuit pending in California regarding defective modems. I am looking at modems with broadcomm chipsets right now. They don't seem to have this issue.

mrraffu

Krispychik3n

Thank you so much for your reply. I really appreciate your responses. I had received a reply from Fido finally.

Regards,