cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Modem very slow

gerardbaron
I'm a participant level 2

I just received my Fido modem, and sign for 60Mb internet.

After a speed test (10:00pm), I get only 12.5 Mb.

On the Fido modem the WIFI is OFF

Network cable on port 1on Fido Modem and to my home router. This setup is working fine, except the internet is very slow.

I also test the speed with a computer attached directly to the modem on Port 1. Speed is also slow 12.5 Mb.

What do you suggest?

***Edited to add labels***

12 REPLIES 12

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@gerardbaron is your moden connected to a splitter? If it is can you connect it directly to the cable outlet, reboot your modem then try again.

Marpy
I'm a participant level 3

one splitter should not cause a problem unless it is faulty. I had Rogers service for internet and tv and they used  the first splitter to service my internet and TV and installed my other splitters after that one (3 tv sets). They  told me it would be ok as long as the first splitter serviced my internet. I had no problems. I have since switched to Fido which uses the exact same cable but a different modem and have been having some issues I am working through.

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Marpy,

What kind of issues have you been experiencing? 

Did you get a chance to speak to our Technical Support about it?

Marpy

Hi - yes I have talked to technical support about it. The problem is with eratic speed. I have signed up for a 60/ 10  plan and at times my download speeds drop below 10 and stay below 20 for a considerable amount of time (not talking wifi. all are wired LAN connections. The Fido tech person indicated that he was seeing a problem with my cable and he could send a service person out. But - The cable connection to the Fido modem runs into the house and goes to 1 splitter and then goes to the Fido modem.  As such, I told him that I would first relocate my modem so that the cable connection coming into the house goes directly to the cable modem as this would elliminate any of the wiring that is in the house as being a problem. I would then see if the problem persisted and based on the outcome call him back to arrange a service call if need be.

Note that the wiring set up with the splitter is the same set up that I had with Rogers and no speed problems with Rogers. Having said this, the Fido modem is different than the one I had with Rogers  and there may be other differences as well that might make the connection more sensitive to problems. Any way, will find out sometime over the next week when I rearrange the equipment and wiring.

Thanks 

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for taking the time to give us those details and to let us know!

Keep us posted on the outcome once you relocate the modem Smiley

Cornfed710
I just connected my modem and I'm only getting 3 down and .5 up. When I switch to the Rogers modem on the same cable I get much higher speeds. I pay for the fastest option with fido.

Hi @Cornfed710

Welcome to the Community! Smiley

Have you tried resetting your modem? 

Cornfed710
Is that something most new customers need to do after the first initial setup?

Cornfed710
Just curious, without a reboot why would it seem to be throttled under 3 down

It's not required after an initial set up but if you're having issues it could definitely help @Cornfed710

gerardbaron
Problem solved after a total factory reset of the modem and router.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @gerardbaron & welcome to the Community! Smiley

Have you tried contacting our internet tech support? You can reach them by dialing 1-888-236-3436.

Hope this helps!