cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Acer Aspire - incompatible with home internet

smh425
I'm a participant level 2

Fido home internet modem is not compatible with certain laptops. They claim this is not their problem and to take it up with best buy. 

Actually yes, internet is your problem, it's your business. Make a modem that works universally with all laptop Wi-Fi cards like all the other internet service providers. 

For reference, it doesn't work with my Acer and I've heard from fido support home internet doesn't work with some Dells. 

This remains a problem. When I called support he told me to take it up with best buy (even though there's no issue with my laptop) and to buy their business plan because I occasionally work from home and should purchase more reliable internet. Lol 😂 why would I pay more for internet that isn't compatible with my work laptop. 

Thanks for your lack of empathy fido support.

4 REPLIES 4

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @smh425,

Welcome to the Community!

When you spoke with our Home Internet support team, did they specify any particular reasons as to why your service was not working with these devices? 

smh425

Morning!

They said it could be any number of things: a hardware component in the laptop, they said some Wi-Fi cards are incompatible, they said some apps on the laptop could be bringing down the laptop and then they said that the neighboring condo unit could be interfering with the signal. 

I spent hours on the phone with them troubleshooting. Honestly, internet shouldn't be this hard. It hasn't been with any other provider I've been with. Why is your modem so finicky?

Hello @smh425,

The Fido modem works with both 2.4ghz and 5ghz so i'm not sure why your laptop would be incompatible.

Have you tried connecting your laptop to any other WiFi connection?

Can you see your WiFi connection on the laptop? 

Can you see any other WiFi connection around you on your laptop?

Did you figure this out @smh425?

Let us know what happened!