cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming question

KellyH
I'm a participant level 2

Going to the US this week. If I want the $12/day roaming option am I Eligible if I am locked in the 2 year plan? Wasn't sure when the rules said not applicable to prepaid plans? 

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello KellyH,

Welcome to the community!

Firstly to clarify, do you have a pre-paid or post-paid plan?

It would be important to note that the US has shut-down their '3G' networks (see here). As such, Fido no longer offers pre-paid roaming in the US (see here).

If you chose to switch to a post-paid plan, you should note that you would need to migration your services over. in doing so, a credit check would likely be required (see here). The migration can only be done by contacting customer service to have them switch your plan types (see here). In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above. 

You should note there would be a migration fee required which would be applied to your next post-paid bill. You should note that if you chose to switch back to pre-paid after that period of time, you would likely incur an additional migration fee.

As already mentioned, you would have access to Fido Roam with a post-paid plan (except Basic Plans). You would need to ensure your phone and plan are capable of voLTE (and roaming voLTE) if you did wish to make use of calling.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @KellyH,

Welcome to the community!

Prepaid plans are pay-as-go plans those do not qualify for the Fido Roam, post-paid accounts are eligible for the Fido Roam regardless if you are in a contract or not.

You can get more information here.

KellyH

Thanks! So what are my options then if I want to be able to text and check email while in US this week?

@KellyH if you have a post-paid account you can just use your phone as you would normally and pay the $12 per day. If you have a prepaid account then you are charged according to the pay-per-use rate.