Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Charging Phone Faster | But be careful!

last3xile
I'm a participant level 2

Happy Birthday to FIDO!! 

I was just in contact with an online rep, Andre on Fido Live Chat. and he let me know about this contest today.. however, on the posts about the contest, it closes September 30th. So.. I'm not sure if this post would be considered into the contest...Today is the 3rd of October..

But here is my tip, not sure if it is already posted before.. hope it can be accepted into the contest! If not, here it is anyway!  

What I tend to do for CHARGING my phone faster, is, I turn off the WIFI, and I also found a stronger charger with a larger output. For me, it is a 1AMP output charger, and it charges my phone much faster than for example, a charger that has 550 mAh output. This can save time if you're in a hurry and need the phone to be charged quickly. So, if you find your charger is slow , you may want to consider looking for one with a higher OUTPUT, although usually people would recommend using the stock chargers to be safe, so you should still keep an eye out when your phones are charging as there is a possibility of voltage issues / burning batteries etc that can happen with technology and all, but other than that, be careful and as long as there is no burning smell or irregular shape of your phone while charging, it should be okay...

Hope this helps others! 

***Edited to add Labels***

6 REPLIES 6

KML123

A safer, well-known, and effective way to charge a phone quicker than normal is to put it on airplane mode.

This reduces activity happenning on the phone and allows it to take in energy and charge faster as it isn't also outputting energy into various things (searching for wifi, checking for updates, etc).

You can also close background apps to reduce the output of energy use more.

These are simple and common things to have a phone charge quicker, and while it may seem obvious, they are quite safe to do without any worry of damaging the device or battery.

-KML123

jlits
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2

You can also charge on airplane mode if you have an Iphone goes really fast! 

CPrime
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3
I also use this method, i not only get a stronger charger but i do tend to use the plug outlets that have a higher mAp to them Smiley

5s
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2
To add to the above, charging a battery, heats the battery up. When the charge is complete, the battery cools. Charging batteries over and over again, will burn the battery out.

When you start using charging batteries, with amperage greater than the battery specs, your raising the battery temperature greater that battery specs.

As an exaggerated example, you can destroy a 1.5 volt battery very quickly, by charging it with a 12 volt charger.

Having said all that, you do not do yourself any favours, charging your phone, with phone protector on the phone, while the phone is charging, because the phone protection will hold the battery heat, in the battery - longer.

@5s wrote:

When you start using charging batteries, with amperage greater than the battery specs, your raising the battery temperature greater that battery specs.

As an exaggerated example, you can destroy a 1.5 volt battery very quickly, by charging it with a 12 volt charger.

Hello 5s,

Thanks for the tip regarding not charging a phone with a protector.

Just to clarify though, amperage and voltage are two different entities. Amperage refers to current flow while voltage refers to the force or pressure of electricity.

To reiterate what was mentioned above, as long as the voltage is the same, using a power source with a higher amperage output will not cause issues with the device. Devices will only draw what amperage they require.

On the other hand, using a power source with a higher voltage will likely damage the device because the increased pressure will force more current to flow. In this case, the increased flow would overheat and damage the phone's internal charging circuitry before affecting the battery.

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@last3xile wrote:

What I tend to do for CHARGING my phone faster, is, I turn off the WIFI, and I also found a stronger charger with a larger output. For me, it is a 1AMP output charger, and it charges my phone much faster than for example, a charger that has 550 mAh output. This can save time if you're in a hurry and need the phone to be charged quickly. So, if you find your charger is slow , you may want to consider looking for one with a higher OUTPUT, although usually people would recommend using the stock chargers to be safe, so you should still keep an eye out when your phones are charging as there is a possibility of voltage issues / burning batteries etc that can happen with technology and all, but other than that, be careful and as long as there is no burning smell or irregular shape of your phone while charging, it should be okay...

Hello Last3xile,

Thanks for the tips!

I know this post is a little old, but I thought I'd clarify the use of higher output chargers. As long as the voltage is the same, using a charger with a higher amperage output will not cause issues with the device. Chargers are rated with their maximum output amperage. Devices will only draw what amperage they require. So using a charger with 2.1 A output to charge a device which only draws 1 A to charge, will not damage the device. The device will still only draw 1 A.

People sometimes notice a quicker charge because the device's actual draw may be slightly higher than what was specified ie 1.2 A vs 1 A. Therefore using a higher output charger will allow the phone to draw the extra 0.2 A compared to a charger which only supplies 1 A.

On the other hand, Last3xile does make a good point about using chargers with lower than specified amperage. It will take longer to charge a device. It will likely still charge, but it will take longer. So, if you're in a pinch and all you have is a low output charger, you'll probably be able to extend your usage. Caveat: some newer devices do require a minimum amperage to charge.

If you're in a different country and the voltage is different, make sure you use a charger that is rated 120-240 V or a stepdown transformer or you will end up causing damage.

Since most devices these days will have some way to charge via USB, if you only want to carry one charger for all your devices, it makes sense to have a USB charger with the highest amperage of all your devices. It will be able to efficiently charge them all. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers