cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

vivaz pro battery upgrade?

T43
I'm a contributor level 1

The stock battery in the vivaz pro is rated at 1200 mAh.  Are there replacement batteries available with greater mAh capacity?  If so, what battery type and/or model # does one look for?  Thanks,

***Edited to add labels***

7 REPLIES 7

FidoJudhy
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi T43,

I would suggest that you go in a Fido store or kiosk to see if any are available.

If none is available, although I cannot guarantee that such batteries are available, you may go through a third party to look for one.

oblaP
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

I would suggest going on e-bay with the model number.  The Fido store typically has heavily inflated prices for accessories.  If you can afford to wait for a couple of weeks you can probalby get one for a quarter the price (albeit from a foreign country likely).

Could be some in Toronto too, from one of these places that imports from China and marks it up a little but still stays well under the Fido price.

If you subsequently send your phone in for service, replace the battery with the original or they have an automagic excuse why the problem is your own.

torcanman
I'm a participant level 2

I would be careful buying a battery from eBay or similar places. There is a good chance getting a fake one.

From my experience with aftermarket batteries they may not have the advertised capacity and die quickly. One of the cheap places to buy a knock off is the Dealextreme but be prepared that you will receive a fake 600 mAh battery marked as 1200 mAh.

T43

Thanks Torcanman, your advice re aftermarket batteries from online sellers is likely right on. If longer battery life is needed the best solution might be to get a second OEM battery and take it along, fully charged of course.

torcanman

The real problem with Vivaz is its design. The battery in my one week old Vivaz lasts 36 hours with 20 minute usage. No apps are running and GPS, Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth are disabled.

430-440 hours of standby is advertised.

Fido tech support was not helpful. They do not seem to posses any substantial technical knowledge. They could only suggest returning the phone or contacting the manufacturer (Sony).

LisaL
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

YES it has poor battery life.  I'm quite pissed that they advertise up to 440 hours standby (18 days!)  and I am lucky to get 5 days with just a few short phone calls and about 10 texts.  NOT HAPPY!  I feel sorry for anyone who uses all the functions this phone is capable of.  Battery would last a day if they were luck.  Shame on you FIDO!

Grandizer
I'm experienced level 3
I'm experienced level 3

@LisaL wrote:

YES it has poor battery life.  I'm quite pissed that they advertise up to 440 hours standby (18 days!)  and I am lucky to get 5 days with just a few short phone calls and about 10 texts.  NOT HAPPY!  I feel sorry for anyone who uses all the functions this phone is capable of.  Battery would last a day if they were luck.  Shame on you FIDO!

NO, it doesn't have poor battery life. It has AVERAGE battery life for this type of electronic device. Unfortunately, I think SE advertisement is misleading. I have no idea where they actually pulled those figures from (even in a controlled environment).

I am actually beginning to do moderate to heavy use on this phone. A couple of text messages, a few hours of internet (through UMB), a few minutes of talk, a few games and it goes down to 20-30% when I'm done. This stretched throughout the day. So in all honesty, battery life is average. Considering I'm comparing it to my usage with a few Sony Clies, Dell Axim x51v. They all lasted only a few hours of heavy use and needed to be charged daily.