cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim card

lp8
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

my samsung s4 recently stopped charging/working, so a friend sent me their old samsung s4 which is currently locked in to telus.  if i get the phone unlocked and put my sim card in, should all of my information still be available on the new phone or must i get a new sim card?

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@lp8 wrote:

my samsung s4 recently stopped charging/working, so a friend sent me their old samsung s4 which is currently locked in to telus.  if i get the phone unlocked and put my sim card in, should all of my information still be available on the new phone or must i get a new sim card?

Hello Ip8,

What information are you referring to? Your phone number and account information or your contacts, SMS, photos,etc? If it's the former, your phone number and account information would be intact on the SIM. On the other hand, if you're referring to the latter, then that information would likely not be on the SIM. You would have to backup all of the information from your old S4 and restore it on your friend's S4. There are many apps available to backup and restore. Additionally, both Google and Samsung have their own backup and restore capabilities.

Either way, you should be able to use your current SIM in your friend's unlocked phone without issue.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoRanya
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @lp8

Welcome to the Community. 

The SIM card will work in the new device if it's unlocked. The information that will be available on your new phone depends on what you saved on your SIM card , as an example your contacts . 

Also, if you backed up your phone before it stopped working, you can restore your back up on the new phone , this is not related to the SIM card however. More info on that right here

Don't hesitate if there's anything else Smiley .