cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

poor cell reception in Gordon Head, Victoria

angelok
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Since moving to the Gordon Head area of Victoria two months ago, we are missing calls, dropping calls, and getting all sorts of reception problems. I have a Samsung S-5 and my wife has iPhone 5 and both have to be very close to the window to receive or make a call. I have tried every trick Fido told me to no avail. I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a cell phone booster that is not guaranteed to solve my problems. Any suggestions?

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@angelok wrote:

Since moving to the Gordon Head area of Victoria two months ago, we are missing calls, dropping calls, and getting all sorts of reception problems. I have a Samsung S-5 and my wife has iPhone 5 and both have to be very close to the window to receive or make a call. I have tried every trick Fido told me to no avail. I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on a cell phone booster that is not guaranteed to solve my problems. Any suggestions?

Hello Angelok,

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, I'm not aware of many alternatives other than getting a cell booster for your home. This is a screen capture of the Rogers cell towers in the area. 

Gordon Head.jpg

Taken from here, however, I cannot vouch for its accuracy. 

Assuming the location and number of towers is correct, the closest cell towers which support 2G or '3G' (ie required for calls) are at the end of Churchill Drive and between McKenzie Avenue and McGill Road. The tower in the middle of Gordon Head appears only to be used for LTE. If you visit the site and click on the towers, it will show the frequencies used by the tower.

I'm sure you're already aware that many factors can affect cell signal including distance from the cell tower, local geography/topography, and objects between cell tower and your location, to name a few.

One thing you might try is to turn your roaming on. I'm not sure if the area qualifies for extended coverage. If it does, your phone will connect to Fido-EXT. Depending on where you live in Gordon Head, there may be some Telus towers to which your phones might connect to as extended coverage. I'm pretty sure extended coverage does not incur any additional cost. Of course, your current plan details still apply. If this does work for you, you'll just have to remember to turn roaming off when travelling outside of Canada or else you will incur roaming charges (unless you have a travel pack).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi angelok & welcome to the Community!

What exactly are these tricks that you've tried? Are you having problems with the network only inside your home, or at other locations too?

Let me know. Smiley