cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 3GS & iOS 5 - Reviews

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Calling all iPhone 3GS users, what is your experience so far with running the iOS 5 update? Performance, battery life, pros/cons, etc compared to the iOS 4. Thanks!

***Edited to add labels***

11 REPLIES 11

GillosMtl
I'm a participant level 3

iOS5.0.1 has locked my iPhone and does not recognized my sim card (pre-paid plan) anymore plus I cannot use the iPhone at all because it's not activated. Before I was able to use the iPhone other options (iPod, Wi-Fi etc.) when I didn't have a sim card. Now nothing works.

Please help. Thank you

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Was your iPhone unlocked (Non-Fido branded) before? That would explain the locking when you updated your iOS firmware. If yes, then you must go get your iPhone unlocked again. Otherwise, updating your iPhone software will not cause you to have to activate your iPhone again unless your completely reset your iPhone. Normally, after a restore or firmware update, you are asked to either 'Restore From Backup' or 'Restore As New'.

GillosMtl

It was unlocked before with Fido. After the update it just restored without asking me anything.

I went at Fido today and they told me they cannot unlock it now for iOS 5. They suggested I go buy a turbosim if I wanted to be able to unlocked my phone now. I don't know if I should.

GillosMtl

Well it seems there's no turbosim for the iPhone 3GS at the store I went to. They told me that my iPhone  is not a Fido phone. They could have unlocked it for me but I would have to downgrade to 4.3.3 or something and I would no longer be able to shut off the phone and always make sure it is charged. Does that mean that everybody that owns an unlocked iPhone cannot upgrade to iOS 5.0.1 without running  into these problems? I don't understand this. My phone was bought without a contract and I don't know how it was unlocked in the first place.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Depends what kind of unlock you have: Apple factory-unlock or third party unlock. Apple's unlock is permanently unlocked regardless of the iOS version. The iPhone would have to have been purchased from Apple (not Fido) at full retail. Third party unlocks only apply to a specific software version then if you update your software, it will lock again, and you will have to get it unlocked for that software version. I guess the latest version Fido can unlock is 4.3.3.

GillosMtl

Thanks for your reply nicklopeke. So when will Fido will be able to unlock for iOS 5.0.1? My Fido sim card needs to be replenish before December 7th. If Fido cannot unlock my phone before that date I will not be able to use my phone without buying a new sim card. If they can unlock it of course.

How come there's no explanation for this on the web site or at the store when you buy from Fido? When I bought the Fido sim card they just asked me if my phone was unlocked and I said yes.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

I do not know when Fido will have an iOS 5.0.1 unlock. Buying a new SIM Card won't fix the problem. Your only bet right now is unlocking the phone at a third-party location, such as T-Booth or somewhere other than Fido that unlocks phones. OR using your phone with the original carrier instead of Fido.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Well?

Anyone?   any feedback?  

sorry nicklopeke, I'm using Android 

canadianbaconx3
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2
It's terrible. extremely slow performance from phone, 3G no longer works reliably, no apparent way to revert and Fido and apple keep pointing fingers and stating, not " our" issue...stay away from ios5 if possible. Unless you like frustration...in which case ios5 would be great.

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

I actually updated my iPhone 3GS on Thursday to the iOS 5.0.1. It's slightly slower, not that bad at all. It functions fine for me. The new software is in the early stages, so performance and battery issues will be resolved eventually. Furthermore, the iOS 5 has solved a major problem I've been having so I'm more than happy now.