cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

htc one s using edge data, not 3g

Pengin
I'm a participant level 2

So I recently got a new phone and a data plan. I've got an HTC one s and I am surprised by the lack of network control on the phone. Either way, I should be make to access the 3g network south my data plan, but instead of the G it should show at the top of the screen it displays an E, which I have just been informed us the edge network. Any way to manually switch to 3g? Edge is ridiculously slow to the point I wonder why I bother paying for data. Any help would be awesome

***Edited to add labels***

7 REPLIES 7

Dingolay
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

I had the HTC One S for a couple days as well.. same problem.. only Edge network... Fido Customer Hassle department and HTC were about as helpful as a butter knife in a gunfight.. so I dumped the phone back on the retailer (London Drugs, which has a great customer satisfaction policy) and got the contract cancelled with no fees on Buyers Remorse policy.  Drove to Future Shop.. got a Rogers Motorola RAZR HD on new Fido contract.. no more Edge!!

HTC = Hit The Curb... at least as far as reception goes.  Otherwise, pretty good phone IMO.

Evoo
I'm a participant level 3

Try switching to HSPA. Go to settings, click on mobile data, and then from then network mode.

Pengin

Yup, tried it, spent half an hour trying to get any signal at all on my phone.

Evoo

In case anyone cares... I went and exchanged for a new phone. I can now force HSPA and stay on 4G. Been running it for about 30 min so far and no problems. Before it was disconnecting after max a minute.

Also FIdo support was useless, told me phone doesn't support 4G and it said this on the website.

Pengin

Hrm, maybe I will try that. I just hate to take this one back because it's got the screen protector and everything on it ><;

Evoo

Ha, yeah. I had a screen protector on mine as well >.< Well, better to waste those 20 dollars than to have a faulty phone.

I'm also avoiding installing that android update that showed up in settings, I'm feeling it might have something to do with this issue.

Evoo

I actually have a similar issue. When I try to switch to HSPA, I'll have 4G for a little bit, then disconnect. I lose cell signal completely. The only way to get it back is to switch to GSM, or to wait like 5 minutes or so.

I don't know why this is happening.