cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

even if I wanna buy a new phone (galaxy s8) with no term, do I have to choose new plan?

James_Jeong13
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I'm using BYOP plan. I applied this plan when it was very cheaper than now. 

That's why I don't wanna change this plan. 

But, When I tried to buy galaxy s8, there was no choice to not choose data plans. 

Do I have to choose other plans? not to use current plan?

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @James_Jeong13

If you are planning on paying the phone full price with no term you should be able to keep your current BYOP plan during the upgrade online. Here's how to go about this phone upgrade: 

1- Log into My Account 

2- Click on Services > Mobile

3- Make sure to select the correct number you'd like to upgrade from the drop-down menu

4- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on ``UPGRADE MY DEVICE``

5- It will redirect you to the device page, select the phone of your choice and click ``UPGRADE``

6- On the right side of this page you'll see the different plans available with this phone upgrade under ``Pick a new plan``. Directly to the right of this option you should see ``Keep existing plan``. 

It will quote you the full price of the phone, you'll then need to confirm again by clicking on ``KEEP EXISTING PLAN``

I hope this information was helpful. Smiley 

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Even easier just buy the phone at full retail and unlocked. Stick your SIM card in it and away you go. Of course FIdo wants to find a way to get you off any of the old cheap grandfathered cell plans. Data is the money maker for providers.

@Proac wrote:

Even easier just buy the phone at full retail and unlocked. Stick your SIM card in it and away you go. Of course FIdo wants to find a way to get you off any of the old cheap grandfathered cell plans. Data is the money maker for providers.

I would buy a factory unlock version if i'm paying full price for the phone but the only issue one will have is WiFi calling will not work because you did not buy the phone from Fido.