cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ZTE WF721 - Problems entering PINs or phone extensions

dguard
I'm a participant level 3

I have a Fido "home phone" using the ZTE WF721.  When I call a phone service requiring a PIN or extension number to be entered, the first digit of the PIN or extension number is always repeated.  For example:

(999) 555-1212 requires PIN 62345 followed by pound.  

So, I type in the phone number:

1-999-555-1212

Wait for the prompt to enter my PIN and I type in:

62345#

System responds with something like:

"The PIN you entered, six-six-two-three-four-five, is not valid.  Please try again."  (Always the first digit repeated)

It does not matter what phone device is attached and placing the call and it does not matter what service I'm trying to call so it seems like it is an issue with the ZTE.  And, it always the first digit of the PIN or extension no matter what that digit is.  Of course, this doesn't make much sense to me since it is the phone device that is issuing the DTMF signals.  The behaviour is as if the ZTE is inserting that extra leading digit.

Simple dialing of a phone number works fine.

Anyone else have a similar issue?

As an aside, the erratic behaviour of the message indicator light is also a continuing concern.

***Edited to add Labels***

83 REPLIES 83

tfarooqi

This does not work for me. The Fido Rep tried this with me, the issue is that most automated  forwarding systems  dont allow * to be dialed, for some it makes the system repeat  the  options  for tone dialing. The odd thing in  all this is  Rogers  wireless  home  phone (same  device) does not have this issue or the voicemail one, there are no complaints as far as i can find. The wireless towers are the same and so is the device  so how come the Fido service is having problems?

BMAN57
I'm a contributor level 1

Did not realize Rogers had no problems. I remember searching AT&T and could not find any problems. I sometimes think why I did not check out forums before I bought this, but considering it is the 21st century, I did not expect touch tone not to work properly. The voice mail I really don't care about as I have my answering machine getting the calls. (but the voice mail indicator should work). I see on the forums that there should be a fix coming through in the next 2 weeks. Hopefully.

tfarooqi

So from searching through Rogers community forums I found that they also have the issue, people have been posting up there since September about the issue. So I guess this is a bigger issue then first thought. Hopefully this will be fixed next week as stated by ZTE. 

tfarooqi

I spoke with ZTE today and well they have delayed the update again. I got the following in response to an update:

"

Yes, We discussed it with Fido yesterday. It’s maybe more complicated than we supposed. So maybe we need more time.

Thanks.

"

Fido care to comment on this? I think most of your customers have had enough of this, I may have only had the service for a few weeks but how can you allow this to continue? 

A small percentage of our Wireless Home Phone customers are having issues with touch tones that may cause difficulty navigating interactive phone menus or dialling calling cards and extensions. We are working with the manufacturer on a fix for those affected. We'll let you know when a solution is available!

Thanks Smiley

Pba81
I'm a participant level 1
Got this device/service 3 weeks ago. On my second device already. I too cannot use systems that require touch tone selection, forcing me to use mobile phone at home and waste my minutes. Voicemail is also not displayed in handsets and no intermittent dial tone to notify of voicemail. Never had any issues with previous provider.

tfarooqi

How long is it going to be from this point? As stated the fix should be ready and just awaiting release? As a customer paying for the service and not getting the promised features it is very frustrating. As a client of Fido I should not be paying for a service when parts of it are not functional. Especially one that is vital to a home phone, what am I suppose to do use my Fido cellular minutes?

tfarooqi

I got a response from ZTE Canada today and it read as follows:

Hi,

We are working on these issues with Fido. It should be solved in 2 weeks.

Thanks for youir patience.

I asked about the issue in this forum and the voicemail one as well. According to ZTE to solution will be pushed in 2 weeks, it would be nice if someone at Fido could confirm this? Its been a long time for this issue and it would be nice to get it all working.

Hey @tfarooqi

We'll let you know as soon as we can Smiley

Doogie87
I'm a contributor level 2

I seeyou are getting the same canned reply they have been sending out for months.

seshwan

Having the same problem, does it need a firmware update? Very annoying, some lines will say "we didn't recognize your response" as soon as I press a button so they hear it, it's just off.

FidoKenny

Hey dguard and welcome to the Community.

@Community: Anyone experiencing the same issue with their Wireless Home Phone?

BMAN57

I am so, so embarassed coming from a home phone that worked all the time, switched to Fido Home Phone, and just ripped apart a retail store for their phone line being so screwed up, and now discovering it's the Fido phone that's screwed up. So embarassed and all because of Fido.

Doogie87

Yes I have for about 4 months and have received no solution

dguard

Thanks, FidoKenny and @Community!

Raiden

I'm experiencing the same problem. If I dial a telephone number or Fido voice mail no problem.Dialing a business and entering an extension or PIN number not going to work. I tried other telephone handsets and nothing works. I've searched the web and others had the same issue with no workaround. I think we need a software update.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi everyone,

A small percentage of our Wireless Home Phone customers are having issues with touch tones that may cause difficulty navigating interactive phone menus or dialling calling cards and extensions. We are working with the manufacturer on a fix for those affected. We'll let you know when a solution is available!

AllanCB

Date: 11/19/15
Hi! We had provided new software, upgrading will be automatic, you only need to power on. but it needs FIDO to release, I’m not sure when it’s happen, maybe one or two weeks.As you know, WF721 users are only voice service, but upgrading needs data, so FIDO wants to get a plan to provide all WF721 users data service for upgrading.Thanks.

Stephen ... FIDO HAS HAD THE UPDATE SINCE BEFORE NOVEMBER 19... why hasn't said update been sent out to the customers?
NO customer who is having this issue should be paying for a half functional service.
You'd not pay for a car that only started once a day would you?

Doogie87

Sorry but what a bunch of BS this has been a problem for over 5 months. Get a new unit and actually provide some SERVICE

Hey Doogie87,

Thanks for reaching out ! 

We're working on a fix with the manufacturer, we'll update you once it's fixed!

AllanCB

The software update was sent to Fido in October 2015.  Why has it taken Fido over 3 MONTHS to update the devices?
I'm close to the 'breaking point' and calling CRTC as this is NOT a fully functional home phone syste.