cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would I have to get a data plan if bought a USED Iphone 4 locked to fido from someone?

stefahknee
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi there! If someone could assist me with my inquiries I would really appreciate it! So I have 8 months left on my contract(25$ regular phone plan), and I bought a used iphone 4 locked to fido from a previous fido owner. Since I can't transfer my old phone's sim to my iphone 4, I would need to get a micro sim, right? And if I go to a fido store and ask them to transfer it,  will fido force me to add on a data plan? Because right now I do not have a data plan and I don't want to add one yet/dont want that committment. Please help! 

***Edited to add labels***

1 REPLY 1

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Since you are bringing your own phone you shouldn't have to change your plan. Just leave everything as is if that is what you want.

As for the microSIM you have a few options

1) Walk into an Apple store and ask for a microSIM for fido. Generally they will give you one for free.

2) Go to a Fido store or a third party retailer (like TBooth or Wireless Wave) and buy a Fido microSIM, usualy for $7-$10

3) Take your current SIM and cut it down to microSIM size. Works fine, but you have to be very careful not to damage the printed circuits. You can find tutorials and templates online. It is very easy (I've done it half a dozen SIMs) and just takes a steady hand. You can find SIM cutters for sale online if you want to make it easy, but they probably cost more than it is worth.

With options 1 and 2, you can move your account over to the new microSIM by either logging in to My Account at fido.ca and doing it yourself (you will need you old and new SIMs to do the move) or you can just call Fido 611 and have them to it. With option 3 you do nothing but put it into your phone.