cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Workarounds to make Visual Voicemail App on Android useable

stardancer
I'm a participant level 2

Here are a few helpful hints for people frustrated with Fido's visual voicemail.  As anyone who has tried to use VVM on fido knows, the app is pretty good except for one major, horrible, frustrating flaw - you get a notification for everything, all the time, even when nothing is happening, and there is no way to modify or turn off notifications within the app.  Even disabling the "service" gives you endless messages about how the service is now disabled.  Go on the metro, get a slew of messages about it not being able to connect to the network, even when everything is normal, you still get messages when it is checking for voicemail, even if you didn't get a call.  In short, it's suuuuuuuuper annoying to the point of making it completely unusable.  Once I got over 10 notifications from the app in 5 minutes and I didn't even receive a call, let alone a voicemail message.

There are two solutions I have found to this major issue.  (The third being to cancel visual voicemail completely).

1 - Install a Jellybean update and disable all notifications for the app.  Jellybean provides a mechanism wherein you can disable all notifications for a specific app (in settings->applications).  This means the app won't tell you when you have a voicemail but you can check that manually if you get a missed call.  This is the best solution I have found.

2 - If you cannot update your phone to use Jellybean, the only other solution I have found is to force stop the app after every time you use it.  So, when you want to see if you have voicemail, you run the app, then when you are done, you go to settings->applications, find the app, then click "force stop".  You will stop getting those annoying notifications until you run the app again.

Hope this helps someone.  Hopefully the fido/roger developers get a clue and make this app more useable someday.

Good luck!

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Tru
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to update it since I came across it. I’m sorry to tell you this but we don’t support the Android visual voicemail anymore. Instead we now have the “Premium Voicemail-To-Text” available for every OS. When you have a new message in your voicemail, we will send you an MMS including an audio file and a transcribed text (first 45 seconds only) that you can listen to like any other MMS. So you won’t need to manually reach the voicemail and spend your airtime to listen to your messages. Smiley

Hope you’ll like it!

FidoStephane

You sir, are a GENIUS!

I had deleted the app, but I followed your wisdom and it works like a Charm!

thanks a million

stardancer

Glad I could help!  I hope it helps some other folks too.  One small thing: I'm not a sir, I'm a ma'am Wink

lol,  my bad.  sorry