Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wondering about compatibility with Xiaomi Mi 5X

Alfred1
I'm a participant level 2

Greetings,

Does anybody have experience with the Xiaomi Mi 5X? Here are the network specs as listed on GearBest:

Network type: CDMA,FDD-LTE,GSM,TD-SCDMA,TDD-LTE,WCDMA

• 2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz
  • CDMA: CDMA EVDO:BC0,CDMA: BC0
  • 3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B2 1900MHz,WCDMA B5 850MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz
    TD-SCDMA: TD-SCDMA B34/B39
  • 4G LTE: FDD B1 2100MHz,FDD B3 1800MHz,FDD B5 850MHz,FDD B7 2600MHz,FDD B8 900MHz,TDD B38 2600MHz,TDD B39 1900MHz,TDD B40 2300MHz,TDD B41 2500MHz

I'm in the Ottawa area.

Thank you,

A

7 REPLIES 7

ShamsMalik
I'm a participant level 1

Go to the Mi App Store and quest for Google on the hunt bar. Presently look down to base and tap on the Baidu symbol. You'll see an application around 168 KB size with Google Play Store logo, introduce it.Xiaomi has delivered some cell phones with Android One while others have MIUI, in light of the ongoing variant of Android. Xiaomi gadgets ordinarily get three Android variant updates, however get MIUI refreshes for a very long time.
Of course, the new Xiaomi Mi Watch can viable with both Android and iOS gadgets. it requires Android 4.4 or iOS 9.0 or more adaptation. Thus, the Mi Watch can associated with your iPhone, Samsung telephone, Xiaomi telephone or HUAWEI telephones normally.

Have you look this masterpiece? Link Below

xiaomi redmi note 10 pro

Hello ShamsMalik,

Welcome  to the community!

Thank you for providing that information for the community! With regards to the Redmi Note 10 Pro, these appear to be the specifications:

4G: LTE FDD B1/2/3/4/5/7/8/20/28/32

4G: LTE TDD B38/40/41(2535-2655MHz)

3G: WCDMA B1/2/4/5/8

2G: GSM 850 900 1800 1900 MHz

See also Redmi Note 10 and Redmi Note 10s.

According to those specifications, those devices would have the compatible band/frequency for 2G (if and where available) and '3G' networks. With regards to LTE, those devices would have a few compatible bands/frequencies. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

While the devices should work on the networks, coverage would depend, in part, on corresponding bands/frequencies used at your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area towers here. In addition, it should also be noted that the different bands/frequencies vary in their characteristics with the lower frequencies being able to travel farther and better penetrate objects (see graphic here). Those phones do not appear to have a compatible 700MHz band.

In addition, you should note certain features (ie Wifi-calling and voLTE) are only available with supported devices (see here). Since Xiaomi devices are not offered by Fido, it's unlikely those features will work. 

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@Alfred1 wrote:

Greetings,

Does anybody have experience with the Xiaomi Mi 5X? Here are the network specs as listed on GearBest:

Network type: CDMA,FDD-LTE,GSM,TD-SCDMA,TDD-LTE,WCDMA

• 2G: GSM 1800MHz,GSM 1900MHz,GSM 850MHz,GSM 900MHz
  • CDMA: CDMA EVDO:BC0,CDMA: BC0
  • 3G: WCDMA B1 2100MHz,WCDMA B2 1900MHz,WCDMA B5 850MHz,WCDMA B8 900MHz
    TD-SCDMA: TD-SCDMA B34/B39
  • 4G LTE: FDD B1 2100MHz,FDD B3 1800MHz,FDD B5 850MHz,FDD B7 2600MHz,FDD B8 900MHz,TDD B38 2600MHz,TDD B39 1900MHz,TDD B40 2300MHz,TDD B41 2500MHz

Hello Alfred1,

Welcome to the community!

Judging by those specifications (and those listed on the Xiaomi website and here), that phone would have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for the 2G and '3G' networks. With regards to LTE, that phone would only have one of the compatible bands/frequencies, band 7 or 2600MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should work on the LTE network, coverage would depend on corresponding bands/frequencies on your surrounding cellular towers as not all cellular towers use all of the bands/frequencies. You can get an idea of your surrounding cellular towers here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Alfred1

Thank you very much. Just for my edification, should I be looking for a phone that has two or more compatible bands/freq in each of the 2G/3G/LTE? Or is at least one in each a good bet?

Hello again,

That's not an easy question to answer. Ideally, a phone would be fully compatible with all of the compatible bands/frequencies. That said, you do not need to have all of the compatible bands/frequencies to work on the networks.

With regards to 2G and '3G', I would personally try to have all of the compatible bands/frequencies. With the exception of voice-over-LTE (voLTE), voice calls are strictly limited to those networks. (You should note that as it stands, certain features such as voLTE and Wifi-calling will not work on non-Fido unlocked devices.) Text messages (SMS and MMS) also use those networks. My previous phone only had one of the compatible bands/frequencies for those networks. For the most part it worked, but I do remember having to drive across town in order to be able to download a MMS...

With regards to LTE, I would again try to have all of the compatible bands/frequencies. While a phone with limited compatibility should work on the networks, the different bands/frequencies have slightly different characteristics. The higher frequencies (ie band 7 or 2600MHz) generally have a larger bandwidth (see table here), meaning that they potentially offer greater data speeds. I said potentially, because there are still a number of other factors that affect data speeds -- signal strength, network congestion, etc. 

On the other hand, the lower frequencies have the greater travel distance and penetrability (see infographic here). So bands 12 or 17 (700MHz) might be a better option if you live further away from cellular towers or in cities with a large number of buildings (obstruction interference).

In addition, as noted above, not all bands/frequencies are used at all of the cellular towers. Generally, band 4 (1700/2100MHz) tends to be more widely available at the cellular towers since it was the original backbone of the LTE network.

Sorry I couldn't give a more definitive answer to your question, but I hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Alfred1

Great overview. Thank you very much.

Bosman

I am using two Xiaomi devices on Fido network in Edmonton - Redmi 4X and Mi Note 2.  Both devices have no issues and have stable LTE connection (marked as 4G+).