Will my phone work on the Fido network?

MVP
MVP

Will my phone work on the Fido network?

Hello,

Your device must be compatible with the Fido/Rogers network, which uses:

GSM ~ EDGE (2G) ~ on band 5 (850MHz) and/or band 2 (1900MHz)

UMTS or WCDMA ~ HSPA (3G) / HSPA+ (4G) ~ on band 5 (850 MHz) and/or band 2 (1900 MHz).

To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:

• Band 4 (1700/2100 MHz) and/or
  • Band 7 (2600 MHz) and/or
  • Band 12 (700 MHz)

The more compatible bands/frequencies a phone has, the greater likelihood of service. That said, the phone does not need to be compatible with all of the bands/frequencies in order for it to work with the Fido/Rogers networks. Access to the networks would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Not all of the towers use all of the bands/frequencies.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Accepted Solution

Re: Will my phone work on the Fido network?

Hello,

Following acquisitions from the 2014 Canadian 700 MHz spectrum auction, Fido/Rogers now also operates band 12 (700 MHz) in some provinces.

Cheers

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 42
MVP
MVP

@ryanwang wrote:

Hi:

my phone has LET, but i cannot use LET here.

the bands are:

TD-LTE: 1990/2300/2600 MHz;

LTE FDD: 1800/2100/2600MHz;

and also i had tried to set up letmoble.apn on my phone, I still just have 3G, not 4G.

Hello Ryanwang,

Welcome to the community!

What phone do you have? Judging by those specifications, that phone has only one of the compatible bands/frequencies for LTE, band 7 or 2600 MHz. While the phone should be able to access the LTE network, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of the surrounding towers. Have you verified your location has towers with 2600 MHz using the link posted above?

You are correct in that the phone should be using ltemobile.apn (assuming spelling error in your post above). Though not specified, you might consider setting the IP type to IPv4. That change has helped some members with their issues.

Have you verified the network mode on your phone is set to LTE/WCDMA/GSM auto? You may have to do so using codes, as this community user did here. Your particular phone may or may not have its own set of codes so you might search for the codes specific to your phone or manufacturer.

Have you enabled roaming? Some phones from abroad think they are roaming when they are outside of their expected areas even though they use local SIMs.

Do you have one of the newer SIMs or is it an old SIM? If it's an older one, have you verified it is capable of LTE?

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 11 of 42
I'm a Participant Level 1 Zak2007
I'm a Participant Level 1

Hi,

Will the Xiaomi Redmi Pro work with the FIDO LTE Network ?

The phone currently work with the following frequencies : 

• Networking:2G GSM:900/1800/1900MHz, CDMA: BC0
  • 3G WCDMA:850/900/1900/2100MHz, TD-SCDMA: B34/39; EVDO:BC0
  • 4G FDD-LTE:850/900/1800/2100/2600MHz, TDD-LTE: 38/39/40/41MHz
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 12 of 42

Hey @Zak2007

I moved your post to this thread as it will answer your question Smiley .

Don't hesitate if there's anything else !

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 13 of 42
MVP
MVP

@Zak2007 wrote:

Hi,

Will the Xiaomi Redmi Pro work with the FIDO LTE Network ?

The phone currently work with the following frequencies : 

• Networking:2G GSM:900/1800/1900MHz, CDMA: BC0
  • 3G WCDMA:850/900/1900/2100MHz, TD-SCDMA: B34/39; EVDO:BC0
  • 4G FDD-LTE:850/900/1800/2100/2600MHz, TDD-LTE: 38/39/40/41MHz

Hello Zak2007,

Judging by those specifications, that phone would only have one of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G. On the other hand, that phone has both of the compatible bands/frequencies for '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone has only one of the compatible bands/frequencies. I understand 2100 MHz is listed, however, that likely refers to band 1 rather than the compatible band 4 (1700/2100 MHz). You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should work on the 2G and LTE networks, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies of your surrounding towers. You can get an idea of your surrounding towers here

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 14 of 42
I'm a Participant Level 2 006
I'm a Participant Level 2

I'm considering an eBay purchase of a Verizon unlocked Moto Z Play. Will it work with Fido guaranteed full network access? I believe it will being an unlocked version plus listed specs but I just want to be 100% sure since things can change in an instant, you never know. Plus it's crossing the border.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 15 of 42
MVP
MVP

@006 wrote:
I'm considering an eBay purchase of a Verizon unlocked Moto Z Play. Will it work with Fido guaranteed full network access? I believe it will being an unlocked version plus listed specs but I just want to be 100% sure since things can change in an instant, you never know. Plus it's crossing the border.

Hello 006,

Firstly, no unlocked phone will be guaranteed for full network access on Fido. Only devices purchased from Fido will be tested and assured to work on their networks.

That said, most unlocked phones with compatible bands/frequencies should work on the networks. Some features however, may not be available on unlocked devices (ie android voLTE).

Verizon phones have been notorious for being rather difficult to get to work properly (see here and here). Unfortunately, I'm not sure whether solutions were ever found so most of this is speculation.

My understanding is that since the Verizon's main network is CDMA-based, devices might need to be activated on their network before being able to be used on other networks -- even though they are unlocked. This community member here, was able to get most of their phone's functions to work on the networks, except for MMS. I suspect they were able to use the other functions on the networks because the phone had been previously activated on Verizon.

With regards to your particular phone of interest, I assume you're referring to the Moto Z Play Droid. That phone is exclusive to Verizon. The other providers carry the Moto Z Play.

Judging by the specifications provided for the Moto Z Play Droid:

CDMA: 850, 1900MHzGSM/GPRS/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)UMTS/HSPA+ (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz)4G LTE (B2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 13)

That device has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone only has two of the compatible bands/frequencies. Some specifications might list 700MHz as one of the phone's frequencies. However, it is located in the upper band of 700MHz (band 13). Fido/Rogers uses 700MHz in the lower band (bands 12 and 17; see here).

So even if you were able to get that phone to work on the networks, it would not be fully compatible with the networks. Coverage depends on the availability of matching bands and frequencies on surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of the cellular towers in your area here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 16 of 42
Highlighted
I'm a Participant Level 2 006
I'm a Participant Level 2

Thank you very much for the prompt reply. It was very helpful.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 17 of 42
I'm a Contributor Level 1 JohnBJr
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Thanks for the link to the site. It has some very useful information.

Cheers 

John

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 18 of 42
I'm a Participant Level 3 strauss44
I'm a Participant Level 3

One of the things to consider is the age of the cell phone.  I am a Fido legacy user (long, long time), but my needs regarding cell phones are relatively small.  Hence I do not need to upgrade my hardware often.  My current Nokia is around seven years old.  This caused an interesting situation on a long road trip from Calgary to Charlottetown.  There was no Fido service from Easter Saskatchewan to Sault Ste. Marie, and again in Eastern Quebec and Newbrunswick.  However that was only for "my old" hardware.  On calls to Fido, we discovered that on cell towers that are either new, or have been replaced, or remodelled, the old technology does likely not exist.  Only on towers that are, in fact, also old, without having been remodelled, is the old technology still present.  Where the old is present it is of high quality and just keeps working.  No one could however say for how much longer.  SO... one day I'll just have to upgrade.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 19 of 42
MVP
MVP

Hello Strauss44,

I'm guessing that your old Nokia phone is a 2G or GSM only device.

It is true that Rogers is no longer increasing its GSM coverage footprint and has only committed to support its 2G GSM network until 2018 (see here). However, I think the likely reason you experienced those service outages along your road trip is because you might have travelled through areas not covered by Fido/Rogers' towers (see here). Newer phones/devices would have been able to roam on the other networks as Fido-EXT (Extended Coverage) when outside of Fido/Rogers coverage. However, none of the other service providers in those areas offer 2G services anymore. Even when they did still offer them, they were on the incompatible CDMA network.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find a more definitive date for when the GSM network is to be decommissioned.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 20 of 42