cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will VoLTE work if I flash my Phone with Fido specific ROM?

Yoda-
I'm a participant level 2

I just moved to Fido and I am really disappointed to find out that Fido does not provide VoLTE when you use a non-Fido purchased Device.

I have a Samsung S7 SM-G930W8 and there is a Fido specific ROM available for this model. If I flash that ROM will I be able to make VoLTE calls or Fido restricts those features by IMEI numbers?

22 REPLIES 22

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @Yoda-,

Welcome to the Community!

I can definitely understand your surprise if this is not something you were aware of beforehand. 

The VoLTE service will only work on compatible Fido devices and the full details can also be found on our website here.

We can't guarantee that it'll work, but you can always try @thirstyturtle18 suggestion Smiley

thirstyturtle18
I'm a contributor level 1

If you have a friend with an iphone, you could ask them if you could place your fido sim into their phone, and then sign up for wifi calling from within the iphone. Once you do that, remove the sim card and place it back in your phone. Once I did that, I hade WiFi Calling and VoLTE working on my google pixel 2. Worth a try. Check out my original post here:

http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Smartphones/message-id/38086

Yoda-

The iPhone sim swap trick does not work anymore. I guess Fido reads their own forums and they now block it as soon as you switch back

Zxaz
I'm a contributor level 3

anyway since that time i switched my second telephone to another provider and had wi-fi calling and all the stuff right away...they can block whatever they want...its irrevelant...lolll

Zxaz

thirstyturtle18.....maybe it worked since you had a pixel...but will take a look with my note 8 and the iphone of my brother...i will keep you udated about this....

thirstyturtle18

this trick also worked for me when I had a note 8, and I also changed the CSC on the device.

Zxaz

Once your adress is recorded on your iphone.....do you have to record it again once the sim is in the phone you want to use it??  Or you simply put to wifi calling toggle at on and thats all....?

thirstyturtle18

I only had to fill in the address on the iphone, and then change the sim into the phone I want to use and flip the toggle. That was all. So I only entered the address once.

Zxaz

ok thanks.....will test it in the coming day...with an update

Zxaz

Ok....so far everything went well....however i had to call at rogers in my case....once the adress registered...i have put the sim on the note 8 and so far 4 hours laters it still working.....was about to switch provider before testing it...

Will gave an update soon to see if still work....

Thanks for this trick thirstyturtle18.....Smiley

FidoKija
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

That's great Zxaz! Thanks for keeping us updated. Smiley 

If all works out, I would recommend accepting thirstyturtle18's post as a solution to this thread in case someone has the same situation in the future. 

The community remains here if you have any other questions! 

Zxaz

Would have been a pleasure....however it didn't worked...about 8 hours after the rolleyes system detected that the sim was on a non fido/rogers phone...it has simply cutted the service provisionning to have volte wifi calling....

The phone is a canadians galaxy note 8.....im not surprised it happenned.....so tomorrow this same phone will be connected on another provider.....it seem that fido/rogers are accustomed to lose subscriber with their stupide policy to not supporting at least canadians phone wich are the exact same phone they're selling.....Seeing_MoneyUnsure

Good job fido/rogers......

FidoCharles
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

We're sad to hear it @Zxax

If you fully restart the device, does it persist or you get access back?

Don't hesitate to contact us so we have a look at your options and check all that with pleasure Smiley

Zxaz

@FidoCharles...thanks for the update....its appreciate....but now because of the stupid politic of fido/rogers to punishing those who bring their own phone to not providing the wifi calling/volte/video calling..because the phone was not sold from them...this phone are now connected to another provider since this afternoon....and you know what...?? like my personel one at the moment i have put the new sim in the phone (canadians galaxy note8) i had only to register the 911 adress and right after BANG had instantly wi-fi calling / volte/video calling....this without no need to call the customer support....

this is simply not fair and not normal that with a iphone you can go anywhere anytime with any provider and will alway have these feature..and with a android phone you are simply punished because you have to buy a "fido/rogers" phone

again..good job rogers/fido..Sad

We're sad to see you go @Zxaz. Sad

I can certainly understand your feelings regarding this. Idealy, we would have liked to have had it work for you.

I'll forward all your feedback to the appropriate channels and thank you very much for taking the time to provide it.

Let us know if you have any other questions, we'll be happy to help. Smiley

BrianJM
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

@FidoPhilippe wrote:

I can certainly understand your feelings regarding this. Idealy, we would have liked to have had it work for you.

This is simply untrue. If you would have liked it to have worked for him, you would just end this stupid greedy policy of not allowing IMS on phones you didn't get a kickback by selling.

The only thing you are offering in your response above are useless, worthless platitudes.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey everyone!

As we've addressed a couple of times, at this moment we can really only guarantee VoLTE service on certain Fido Android phones. Fido phones are set up to work on our network and have been tested to work with our features. This is not the case with non-Fido phones and for that reason; it's not something we can guarantee. If anything changes in the future, rest assured we'll update everyone! Smiley

This said you're definitely more than welcome to bring your own phones to use on our network. Keep in mind that with any unlocked phone though it is possible not all features work. 

Hope this helps!

Berlo

@FidoNick wrote:

Hey everyone!

As we've addressed a couple of times, at this moment we can really only guarantee VoLTE service on certain Fido Android phones. Fido phones are set up to work on our network and have been tested to work with our features. This is not the case with nom-Fido phones and for that reason, it's not something we can guarantee. If anything changes in the future, rest assured we'll update everyone! Smiley

This said you're definitely more than welcome to bring your own phones to use on our network. Keep in mind that with any unlocked phone though it is possible not all features work. 

Hope this helps!

What I understand is that Fido has spent time and money on a system that blocks the IMEI of unlocked phones for Wifi Calling/VoLTE/Video Calling services.

In my opinion, it's a completely different thing and not honest to say that "it's not something we can guarantee".

Zxaz

in fact is not that "it is something we cannot guarantee" the real true is rather "it is something we dont want to guarantee"   @FidoNick   then explain us why all iphone are working even those buy at apple...???  

the samsung technicians told me in last may that all samsung shipped to fido/rogers are THE SAME ONE to ANY provider in canada... same of those we buy at samsung store....fido/rogers dont unbox any phone or instal any third party software to make "IMS" provisionned..the true is they rather register all imei of their phone they buy from samsung in their database....from there their rolleyes system detect if a imei is or not in the database and allow or block the IMS provisionning....people are not so stupid!!!   on my corporate note 8 plan i have succeded to have IMS...so fully tested and compatible since it worked for about 8 hours..until YOUR rolleyes system detected my none imei registered..from there blocked my IMS provisionning...as simple as is.. now that they"re not allowed anymore to sold locked phone..they instead punishing member to blocking the IMS acces...many people like me have been or will be caught with this ...fido/rogers should at least inform people in person at your booth or by the net when they come to look at your plans...

anyway...the nice thing is that while your blocking IMS...your neighbor just dont care about this Heart and every member have their IMS registered and happy....lolllHappy

Hey guys!

You're certainly entitled to your opinions and we thank you for all of your honest feedback. We'll make sure that it gets proper attention. Smiley

Let us know if you have any other questions.