Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi calling charges

briwitzel
I'm a participant level 1

Hello, 

I would like to receive confirmation for two things 

1. if I use wifi calling while in Canada to call a phone number abroad I will be charged. Yes/No

2. if I use wifi calling while outside Canada to call any number I will be charged. Yes/No

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Briwitzel,

Welcome to the community!

@briwitzel wrote:

1. if I use wifi calling while in Canada to call a phone number abroad I will be charged. ...

Making calls to non-Canadian phone numbers with Wifi-calling will be the same as if you made the same calls using your cellular plan. If you do not have any International calling or add-on, you will be charged long-distance for those calls.

@briwitzel wrote:

2. if I use wifi calling while outside Canada to call any number I will be charged. ..

While outside of Canada, making calls to Canadian phone numbers will not incur long-distance or roaming charges. However, making calls to non-Canadian phone numbers will be treated the same as using a mobile network. Roaming and long-distance charges would apply depending on your situation (ie Fido Roam or Pay-Per-Use).

You can find additional information regarding Wifi-calling here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Jack2016

Then it should not be called wifi calling!!!!

Hello Jack2016,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you are not familiar with the terminology. However, Wifi-calling is the term the industry has adopted for a while now (see here and here). While Wifi-calling might be similiar to the use of calling apps, it is rather different from those apps in that the calls go through the networks.

I'm not sure how people have gotten the impression that Wifi-calling does not use the networks. However, that is not true. While the calls and messages do not transmit via cellular towers, they still use the networks via the internet gateway (see image here). The cellular towers and Wifi are merely alternate means of accessing the networks. Calls and messages would not be able to complete or get sent/received without the networks. As such, using Wifi-calling is technically using Fido services. However, they have allowed certain usage to be free from additional charges. All the messages and calls you receive (from anywhere in the world) will be taken from your plan's voice minutes and messaging limits. As well, all Wifi-calling messages and calls you make to a Canadian phone number while abroad won't incur long-distance or roaming charges (see link above).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers