cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why Sell 5G phone if Fido doesn't offer a 5G Network?

scon
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I mean c'mon...I just got my new LG Velvet 5G phone and couldn't wait to test out the connection speeds, but there was no 5G display on my home screen...just LTE. And now I'm reading on here that Fido doesn't actually have a 5G network!!!! What the heck is going on??

1 REPLY 1

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Scon,

Welcome to the community!

I can understand being excited to test new technology. Unfortunately, as you note, Fido is not currently offering 5G services (see here). They are concentrating on improving the LTE networks. If they do decide to offer it in the future, it will be announced on Fido.ca. The different flanker tiers offer different services. As far as I am aware, none of the flanker brands are offering 5G services either.

As for your query regarding why sell 5G phone without 5G network, most new phones in production would include 5G bands/frequencies. It doesn't make sense for manufacturers to not include upcoming technologies in their mid- to high-end phones. As far as I am aware, there isn't a new LG Velvet without 5G capabilities. I don't think there are any new Samsung or iPhone models without 5G capabilities either. In addition, customers want new phones for a variety of reasons (ie faster chipsets, bigger screens, higher resolution cameras,.. etc). It's not fair to deny customers the newest phones just because they don't offer 5G services.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers