cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can Nexus S users install Ice Cream Sandwich? Wind/Mobilicity already allowing it!

jjjewels
I'm a participant level 3

The Android OS Ice Cream Sandwich has been released for Nexus phones. Carriers such as Wind and Mobilicity are allowing users to upgrade, when will Fido follow suit? It's very frustrating for us to wait when smaller companies (with enticing phone plans I might add) are jumping on the bandwagon.

***Edited to add labels***

9 REPLIES 9

GregToronto
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1
As tempting as is sounds, warranty counts for a lot with handsets worth over $500. to me anyways. I prefer to also wait till any bugs are ironed out as well. You are lucky to have had no issues. I hope it remains that way for you.

headholio
I'm a participant level 2

I should point out that just today I got an OTA upgrade to 4.1.1 (JellyBean).  Cool stuff!

beararms
I'm helpful level 2
I'm helpful level 2
What area do you live in? I'm waiting for that update!!!

sonyandroid
I'm a contributor level 3
I'm a contributor level 3
All compatible sansung phones should get the update by the end on march

headholio

I manually upgraded my fido Nexus S to ice cream sandwich using the official full 160MB upgrade (for T-Mobile) supplied by google.  First I had to install the pdanet usb drivers on my win7 pc because the ones supplied by google didn't recognise my phone when it was in fastboot mode.  Then I had to unlock my bootloader, load an unlocked recovery on it, flash my phone back to factory and erase all user data, flash the official google 160mb full ice cream sandwich upgrade, and then update my radio.  If I didn't run into the problem with the usb drivers, then it probably would have taken me about 5 minutes to complete.  You can find more info on how to do all this by searching google if you are interested and can't wait (like me).  I completed this about 4 days ago, and everything on the phone has been working perfectly, not 1 glitch yet.  And I have not run into any of the reported battery issues (which caused the ics upgrade to be put on hold).  My battery life has been almost identical to my battery life when I ran the phone with gingerbread.  I've been reading rumors that the only ones having the battery problem are those that used the 128MB upgrade, and didn't flash their phone back to factory before applying the upgrade.  Anyways, I'm definitely loving ICS on my Nexus S Wink

P.S. - this will probably void any type of warranty you have on your phone.

bdgates1
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1
Yikes that sound complicated including loosing al you user data, what is taking so long for Fido to push the release. I am thinking we will never get it and it is Vapor ware for the Nexus S

headholio

I guess it's a little complicated...but any tech savy person could do it.  There are detailed instructions on the process, kinda hard to mess up as long as you follow them and take note of my changes.  As for losing your data, I just copied my personal files to my computer, and then moved them back after the process was complete.  All the apps I originally had installed got automatically re-downloaded and re-installed on ice cream sandwich.  Also, my contacts were stored in gmail so they automatically reappeared as well.

I've been using ice cream sandwich on my fido nexus s for over a month now.  No bugs, no freezes, no issues whatsoever.  Kinda feel bad for those that want it so bad and aren't willing to try to install it themselves.  I can't imagine still using gingerbread....ice cream sandwich is so much nicer Wink

DumbScreenName
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

Relax.  It has nothing to do with Fido "allowing it".  You may want to inform yourself a bit better before ranting like this.

Fido users will get ICS at the same time as Rogers, Bell, Telus, and AT&T.  Wind & Mobilicity have the same radios as T-Mobile. That's why they are getting the upgrade first.

jjjewels

Thanks for the info. Didn't know I was ranting.