cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the theoretical max for Fido/Rogers 3G network?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

And is the iPhone 4 capable of utilizing the max speed? I ask because I've been using SpeedTest app and I rarely seem able to get download speeds over 500kbps download, which seems very slow. Is it 7Mbps or 14 or 21 that is the max? I read Telus recently started rolling out 42Mbps HSPA+ and is calling it 4G, but I cannot remember what Rogers/Fido's network is at these days nor what the iPhone 4 is capable of.

Thanks,

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

TechAgent611
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

The iPhone 4's maximum theoretical downlink speed is 7.2 Mbit/s HSDPA. 7.2 Mbps is equivalent to 921.6 kilobytes per second. There is a very small percentage of data management overhead to also budget in there, as well as signal quality that can be affected by many variables. In every day use, it's pretty quick Wink

I am a Fido employee, but my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Fido or its affiliates.

Je suis un(e) employé(e) de Fido mais mes commentaires sont les miens et ne reflètent pas nécessairement le point de vue.

WickyLeBlond
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

I may be mistaking, but if I remember correctly, the Rogers/Fido 3G network is 21Mbps. I think the iPhone 4's limit is 7Mbps. I may be wrong though, I'm going by memory.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I used the Rogers HSPA+ rocket stick unlocked, and used it with my fido sim with a Data plan, was able to achieve 21 Mbps downlink  pretty good eh?

The upgrade to HSPA+ enabled speeds up to 21 Mbps. 

Hope this helps,