Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Gmail on Blackberry Curve 8520

andazamanka
I'm a contributor level 1

Hello,

Here is My Question.  I have Blackberry 8520 without a data plan.

I set it up to so that I can access internet through my home WI-FI.

But when I was trying to set up my bb to access my GMAIL using my Home WI-FI  and after I entered my gmail address it asked for activation code.

When I called FIDO they told me call tech services which I will do Tonight but I want to know if it is possible to access your Gmail using home WI-FI ?

Did anyone else have the same issue?

Thanks

***Edited to add labels***

6 REPLIES 6

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi andazamanka,

unlike smartphones, a blackberry phone's e-mail capabilities are controlled by an external server owned by RIM where as regular smart phones e-mail capabilites are configured right in the handset.

Because te blackberry server handles the e-mails, it also requries customers to subscribe to a blackberry specific data plan by your provider ie: fido.

Even though you can use wifi on your phone, you will not be able to set up your g-mail account unless you subscribe to a blackberry package.  once you have a blackberry plan, the e-mail will work via the cellular data as well as wifi. 

andazamanka

So if I am understanding it right if go in for the $10.00 smartphone data plan then I will be able to access my gmail through my blackberry. is that correct?

Anonymous
Not applicable

there is no $10 option for blackberries.

the minimum is 15, then there is 25 and 30.

mimi_90

Actually their email option is no longer 15$... They dropped it down to 10 $ Smiley

Anonymous
Not applicable
this must be new? when i had it it was $15
how much is the $25 plan cost now?

andazamanka

Thanks for all the help guys.  the $15.00 data plan that FIDO had is now $10.00 as per their plan & Data brochure apparently the data plan rates were revised as recently as May 3rd. I was able to get it for $25 monthy plan + $10 data plan a nice deal for my requirements.

Thanks for your help.