Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade fee + price match

zachengel
I'm a participant level 3

Hi Fido!

Since switching back to Fido, I can say I've been disappointed with the upgrading process for getting a new device. They apparently cannot waive the upgrade fee nor can they even price match a different competitor!

And nobody can tell me if I have to pay for the phone cost in person or if it'll tag on to my next bill.

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Zachengel,

Welcome to the community!

You can waive the hardware upgrade fee if you purchase or upgrade online (see here).

It's true Fido rarely price match plans. However, when comparing the different providers, make sure you're comparing similar services as not all of the providers offer the same services. Some providers can offer cheaper plans because they offer lesser services. For example, Chatr does not offer LTE -- even though they use Rogers' networks. Additionally, many of Chatr's plans are In-Zone only. Public Mobile does not offer any customer service. Freedom Mobile's network is not as robust and their coverage is still limited by Home and Away networks... Expecting a provider to match the price of a plan offering lesser services is not reasonable. 

On the other hand, if you're referring to the upfront cost of a device, they can't simply match that cost without adjusting the monthly plan cost (ie adding additional subsidy) as well.

As far as I am aware, any purchase or upgrade of hardware will be charged on your next bill.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

zachengel

Fido,

I cannot find the article where it says my hardware upgrade fee is waived. Do you have a direct link to the article? 

I reserved the new iPhone 8 so I guess I technically upgraded online without phone support help?

Hi @zachengel & welcome to the Community! Smiley

As mentioned by @Cawtau, the $25 transaction fee is indeed waived if you upgrade online. Reserving a phone is however not considered as an upgrade online since you'll need to go to the store to process the upgrade.

Also a little correction, while when upgrading online or through customer service the phone will be billed on the next invoice, the phone needs to be paid right away when the upgrade is done in stores.

Hope this helps!

mmliar
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

It is listed under Promotions. Here is the link:

https://www.fido.ca/consumer/promotions

Go down the page and it has a title of "Save $25 on transaction fee".

zachengel

Sorry, I was meaning the Early Upgrade Fee.

@zachengel wrote:

Sorry, I was meaning the Early Upgrade Fee.

Hello again,

I don't think they will be able to waive the Early Upgrade Fee. I believe that fee is the amount owing on your current contract. You still have to pay the balance of your current phone. Once you pay that fee, you'll be able to renew your term with a new device (see here).

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers