cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocked phone with Fido

CamW
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hello, I'm new to the phone world so I apologize in advance if my question can be answered easily and/or obviously.

As of right now I have a Samsung Google Nexus S with Android 4.0, it's great, I've had no problems but I want to upgrade to the Nokia Lumia 900 REALLLY badly. I know that Fido does not carry it, but I have found a site where I can buy it.

My question is, if I buy it (it comes "unlocked") would all I have to do is insert my Fido SIM card. How does the process work?

Right now I have a data plan of 500MB a month, and my talk plan is unlimited incoming calls with unlimited text, 200 minutes with free evenings and weekends. Would I still have access to all my services, and would my phone# stay the same?

Basically I want a new phone from a different carrier but I don't know how to set it all up.

PLEASE HELP A BROTHA OUT

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

Should work fine, though you may need to turn on data roaming in order to use Fido roaming because of how Rogers and Fido network segregation works.

Hello everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it .

Things to Know

• Your device must be compatible with the Fido network, which uses GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz. To access LTE network, the phone must be compatible with:
    • 700 MHz on Band 17;
    • 2100 MHz on Band 4;
    • 2600 MHz on Band 7.

How to find this information? Refer to the manufacturer's official website.

If you are unsure of how to check the frequencies your device supports, try the manufacturer's official website and search for the specifications for your particular phone/smartphone model;
  • If your device is locked, it needs to be unlocked by the original carrier it was bought from.
  • If your device is not compatible, consult our latest selection of phones and devices;
  • To use your unlocked device, you must have an active Fido SIM card:

For more etails please go to : http://www.fido.ca/web/content/phonewarranty/configure_unlocked_device_guide

Hope this helps!