cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble sending pictures through text?

alias99
I'm a contributor level 1

I have a samsung Galaxy Nexus. 20$ texting plan only. Using wifi at home or where ever possible.

I try to send pictures through text, sometimes they don't go at all, other times they take a couple hours for the person to receive them. I can send pictures through the IM program such as kik, and those goes instantly 100% of the time. But why do I have such issues with texting?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

***Edited to add labels***

15 REPLIES 15

hl2
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

So if I'm understanding this.  I can leave my data off most of the time, turn it on to send a pic, then turn it off again, and will not use any of my data?  What if, when i turn my data on for that short time, I have a facebook message etc.  I WILL be using my data then right?

@hl2 wrote:

So if I'm understanding this.  I can leave my data off most of the time, turn it on to send a pic, then turn it off again, and will not use any of my data?  What if, when i turn my data on for that short time, I have a facebook message etc.  I WILL be using my data then right?

@hl2 if you turn on your data and you are not connected to a WiFi then yes it is a possibility that other apps will use your data at that time providing you do have a data plan.

Anonymous
Not applicable

thats because you cant sent pics through text messaging (SMS) it was never designed for that.  if you use mms, you can send a message to someone which includes a picture but that usually costs money unless you subscribe to a mms plan,  as for trying to send picture messages over wifi, it wont work, they only go through the cellular network even if you turn wifi on, thus chargable service.  if u want to send free pics to ppl, try using e-mail, or an instant message program like skype,  windows live messenger, whats app, bbm, yahoo messenger, etc.

alias99

"thats because you cant sent pics through text messaging"

But... I did?

This doesn't make sense. I can send through Kik no problem with wifi with my data on my phone turned off (because I'm not using it)

Basically, it's 50/50 through the stock texting app, 100% success through kik. This is all on wifi btw. Even so, The plan I'm on states I should be able to send and receive pics/video/text messages at no extra cost. So unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying about the cost, none of that is right.

Hey alias99!

The reason it is not working, according to the information you have provided me with, is because data is turned off on your phone.

For picture messages to go through, data absolutely has to be on. You will not be billed for the data usage, only for the message itself if you do not have them included in your services.

alias99

You will not be billed for the data usage, only for the message itself if you do not have them included in your services."

Good to know! Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I've tried it with/without that option on but I'll give it another shot in a bit here.

In the mean time, I have another question: I can't pair my phone to my Cars CD deck through blue tooth. It will work for a bit to play music, and then it stops and pops up with a message offering data plan rates.  If I'm understanding this correctly, it's telling me I need a data plan to use bluetooth? But if you look at it that way, that's like telling me I need a data plan to pair my phone with bluetooth headphones. Which is kind of crazy!

Thanks!

Hi again!

You definitely do not need data to use Bluetooth. If the phone mentions that a data option is required, it's because something is trying to connect to the data network. Perhaps it's an application or something else running in the background.

@ Community: Has anyone experienced something similar with their phone's bluetooth and car? How were you able to go around it?

alias99

Hmm.. mmk, thanks!

As for the original question, does the default messenging app on the galaxy nexus not support pictures then? It seems wierd to me that I would have to rely on a 3rd party app to make use of that function. A lot of them are filled with junk emoticons and look really ugly...  Sad

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)

@alias99 wrote:

Hmm.. mmk, thanks!

As for the original question, does the default messenging app on the galaxy nexus not support pictures then? It seems wierd to me that I would have to rely on a 3rd party app to make use of that function. A lot of them are filled with junk emoticons and look really ugly...  Sad

Hey alias99!

The messaging app is used for text, picture and video messages. In a message thread, you have the option to add an attachment (photo or video). As long as data is enabled in the settings on your phone and your phone can establish a data connection, you will be able to send and receive MMS through the messaging app on the phone. 

alias99

Well, I see I can add pictures, and I've tried doing so. But they always sit there telling me they're "sending" and rarely ever work. I think I've only had success on two pictures which took hours to send. Even doing so at home where I'm connected to wifi (with the data option enabled) it doesn't work.

Using an app like kik on wifi works instantly, but ofcourse, that's using wifi and that app doesn't use my phone for texting, it's more of an instant messanging program.

Now, your phrasing makes me worry though. When you say initiate a data connection... as long as I can text otherwise (say, while on the road or at work), then that should suffice, correct? It says 3G for my connection status and I have no issues with sending/receiving texts, so pictures should work fine, correct? Technically I don't have data, so that's why I want to confirm that.

FidoStephen

@alias99 wrote:

Well, I see I can add pictures, and I've tried doing so. But they always sit there telling me they're "sending" and rarely ever work. I think I've only had success on two pictures which took hours to send. Even doing so at home where I'm connected to wifi (with the data option enabled) it doesn't work.

Using an app like kik on wifi works instantly, but ofcourse, that's using wifi and that app doesn't use my phone for texting, it's more of an instant messanging program.

Now, your phrasing makes me worry though. When you say initiate a data connection... as long as I can text otherwise (say, while on the road or at work), then that should suffice, correct? It says 3G for my connection status and I have no issues with sending/receiving texts, so pictures should work fine, correct? Technically I don't have data, so that's why I want to confirm that.

Hey!

You do not need to have a data add-on in order to send or receive an MMS. You phone does need to have access to data though, which is why data needs to be enabled in your phone settings. It will not work via Wi-Fi either, as you need to be connected to our network. 

Do you remember ever asking customer service to add a data block on your account? 

alias99

Ok perfect, so as long as I'm in a service area and can send/receive texts fine, MMS should work fine as well.

I'll call into Fido and see if there's a data lock on it. Might be why I get those data-add on pop ups when using blue tooth as well =\

Thanks for the helpful responses!

alias99

Hey, sorry stephen...

Just talked with a Fido Rep and she said I do need to have a data plan added to send pictures.

So.. I'm getting loads of mixed signals then...

"You do not need to have a data add-on in order to send or receive an MMS"

Yet the rep clearly stated I do. She added 100mb promo data plan to test it and it worked fine.

As stated in this page: http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/MonthlyPlans/Group1

That 20$ plan clearly says it's included, yet it's not even functional.  This is insane. Why would this service be advertised if it's not even functional? Not even by the fact that I can connect to wifi and use my own data? I would be less upset about this if I could at least use wifi to use this feature, but I can't even do that.

alias99
Sorry for the spam! I tried to edit, but I don't see that option anymore..

I called Fido back, because I thought that was a little ridiculous. I talked to another guy there and we tried a few more things. He then escalated to lvl 2 tech and had him reset something on the data end of things (no idea what they did, didn't elaborate on it) but needless to say, I'm not on wifi at the moment with no free 100mb promo and it works.

Sorry for getting upset, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't being taken for my money here (my cheap 20$ Tongue )

Thanks for the support though!

FidoStephen

Glad to hear it's working now! I was and still am certain it works without a data plan Wink