cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy A40 network compatibility?

Kris6
I'm a contributor level 1

Please confirm

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kris6,

Welcome to the community!

Are you able to provide any more information (ie version number) regarding the specific phone for which you're interested? There appears to be a least four versions of that phone, none of which are intended for the  North American market (see here).

Here are some possible band/frequency specifications for that device:

Technology GSM / HSPA / LTE
2G bands GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - SIM 1 & SIM 2 (dual-SIM model only)
3G bands HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
4G bands LTE band 1(2100), 3(1800), 5(850), 7(2600), 8(900), 20(800), 38(2600), 40(2300), 41(2500)

~taken from GSMArena

It's important to note that those specifications might not apply to all versions of the phone. That said, according to those specifications, that phone has all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that phone would only have one compatible band/frequency. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. While the phone should work on the LTE networks, coverage would depend on the bands/frequencies available on your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area cellular towers here.

Again, without knowing the exact version of the phone in which you're interested, it's not possible to confirm whether it will be compatible with the networks. However, at least some versions of that phone appear to have compatible bands for 2G and '3G', but limited compatibility for LTE.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Kris6

thanks for the reply. A405FD is the model #

Hello again,

Thank you for the additional information. The available specifications for that particular version online are sparse (see here and here and here). Personally, I would question the accuracy of the specifications listed as I am not familiar with the first two websites. Assuming the specifications are correct, that version would also have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G and '3G'. With regards to LTE, that version would only have one compatible band/frequency. It should be noted that the specifications listed in Amazon only list SIM 2 as compatible with the GSM network. The other specification listings do not mention the capabilities of the second SIM slot.

If those specifications are correct, you should be able to use the phone on the 2G and '3G' networks with little issue. You should also be able to use the phone on the LTE network provided you are within band 7 coverage. Additionally, you should note that since the phone is not a Canadian version, it is unlikely that certain features such as voLTE or Wifi-calling will work.

Sorry I couldn't provide a more definitive answer, but hope this helps 😀

Cheers