cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SMR for Samsung Galaxy S10

tibiptibip
I'm a participant level 2

Hello, any update on an updated SMR ( April or May ) for the Samsung Galaxy S10 ? It is not helpful that we all just stare at a list without understanding when these things are going to be released. It would be helpful to have the scheduled release date populated in the list, so we ,( the customers ) are just left hanging and wondering when we will get the patches. Some of us need these for the BYOD work environments ( not personal use) and phonese are isolated if the patch is older than 3 months. Thank you !

5 REPLIES 5

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Tibiptibip,

Welcome to the community!

I understand the need for regular security patches for work purposes. However, mobile providers can only offer updates which are released by the phone manufacturers. I also understand Samsung might have released the updates in other Countries. However, those updates would be specific for the particular variants available in those areas.

You should note that Samsung as moved the S10 series from receiving monthly updates to quarterly updates (see here and here). As far as I am aware, the February update is the most recent update available for the Canadian variant (SM-G973W)(see here). According to a quartly schedule, there should be an update in the near future. While the S10 did receive a May SMR in Europe, it should be mentioned that those updates might not be available in every region:

Security Update.jpg

~taken from link above.

It should also be mentioned that if/when the S10 does receive a SMR, it may be the last year for receiving them. Samsung recently discontinued the updates for the S9 (see here).

As mentioned, mobile providers can only offer updates which are released by the phone manufacturers. You might consider contacting Samsung Canada to see if they have any further information regarding SMR updates for the Canadian variant of the Galaxy S10.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

tibiptibip

If I burn the US firmware for SM-973U on my SM-973W using ODIN tool will I get the OTA updates in Canada through Fido ? or only if the phone is located in US ?  Thank you !

Hello again,

It would not be advisable to flash different variant firmwares to your Canadian S10. While the hardware is generally similar between the two variants, there are slight differences between them. In addition, it would not be recommended if you are not familiar with the procedures as it could permanently render the device unusable.  If you are interested in updating your device in this manner, you would need to search out the procedure for yourself.

Furthermore, US variants can have their own issues when used on networks other than their own. Many US providers employ various tactics to prevent usage of their devices on other networks. Some might block certain bands/frequencies from being accessed or have inaccessible APN settings while others provide a SIM card not from Verizon notification message etc (see here).

That said, an actual SM-G973U device would not receive OTA updates in Canada. It would need to be connected to their US provider's network. It is also unclear whether such a device would be able to avail of the Beta program outside of the US.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

tibiptibip

BTW.. If possible just release the Android SMR that is available ( for example other countries providers released them ) in "beta" ( not fully tested) so users can install them if they want to take the risk. In other words, release them right after Android releases them in Beta ( through a download and install link ) and then release them when fully tested OTA.

Hello again,

Unfortunately, the mobile providers won't be able to offer beta releases as they have not yet been fully tested. In fact, those updates are not officially released in those areas. In order to receive a beta update, people need to register to be a part of the Beta program (see here). It should also be mentioned that as with their official updates, beta versions might not be available for all regions.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers