cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about nokia phones and Fido (515 & 301)

mrtunes
I'm a participant level 2

I am looking to use an unlocked Nokia 515 phone with Fido.  It looks like the 3G network is not the same as the 2G network, and maybe not compatible.  How would this affect normal operation of the phone, such as getting phone calls? Do you think the 2G network will soon be phased out by Rogers? 

I then found the Nokia 301, which is not as strong a phone as the 515, but it does seem to have the right bands for 3G. 

Please take a look if you have a second: link

***edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Mrtunes,

Welcome to the community!

Personally, I would not get a phone without at least full 2G and '3G' compatiblilty. My previous phone had the same bands/frequencies as the 515. While I loved some aspects of the phone, I found the network limitations tedious and ended up getting a new phone. Firstly, the power output of the '3G' network is greater than the 2G network so coverage is slightly better. I could not use my old phone further than approximately 1 foot away from my window. However, I can use my new phone (with '3G') anywhere else in my building (except underground parking). Additionally, I previously had to drive across town to be able to send/receive MMS -- it would also take forever to send/download on the 2G network. Now, my new phone can send/receive MMS with no issues from my place. 

Which version of the 301 are you looking at? You should note only the RM-841 has compatible '3G' bands/frequencies.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

mrtunes

Thank you. I'm wondering if i'm just not reading the chart properly though. Is it possible that the 515 will operate a 3G signal on fido? This graphic makes me wonder if it will work. 

Hello again,

What part of that graphic makes you think it might work? If you're referring to the 2100 Mhz, that is on band 1 and not band 4 (1700/2100 MHz) so that phone wouldn't even work on Wind's '3G' network either. I do not see any compatible '3G' bands/frequencies for that phone so it would not work on that network. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

I have previously discussed the bands/frequencies in greater detail in some of my earlier posts. Feel free to peruse them for more information.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers