cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor cell reception

Glmilgrom
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I just switched from a S7 to a S10plus and since switching I have huge cell phone reception issues when receiving calls. The voices cut in and out of hearing it is all crackly and I cannot decipher over 50% of what is being said. It is not too bad when I place the call but horrible when receiving calls. 

I have my own business and use my cell for work. I need this solved. 

I am located in Penticton BC. 

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Glmilgrom,

Welcome to the community!

There are four Fido/Rogers cellular towers in Penticton.

Penticton.jpg

~taken from here.

Depending on your location relative to the cellular towers, there may be areas of better or worse reception. Is your location close to a celluar tower?

Since it doesn't appear you were having similar issues with your S7, it's possible the issue is related to voLTE. You might consider disabling that functionality or disabling LTE to see if your call situation improves. Disabled, voice calls would transmit via the 2G and '3G' networks as they did with the S7.

Do you have suitable access to the internet via Wifi? The S10+ is also capable of Wifi-calling. If you do happen to be in an area of lesser cell signal but have access to Wifi, it may also be of help.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Hello again,

@Cawtau wrote:.. Since it doesn't appear you were having similar issues with your S7, it's possible the issue is related to voLTE. You might consider disabling that functionality or disabling LTE to see if your call situation improves. Disabled, voice calls would transmit via the 2G and '3G' networks as they did with the S7....

Apologies for my inaccurate recollection... If your S7 was purchased from Fido, it is possible it was also capable of voLTE. However, if it was a non-Fido device, then that functionality would not have been supported on the networks.

That said, it's still worth trying to disable the functionality or LTE itself to see if it may improve your situation.

**edit** Do you still have access to your S7? You might consider trying your SIM in your old phone to see if the issue persists. If it does, it's possible the SIM might have become damaged or your local area might have changed (ie increased interference between your location and cellular tower(s))**

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @Glmilgrom,

It sounds like the problem is with the new phone if it was working good before the switch.

Try resetting your network settings, Settings > General Management > Reset > Reset network settings.

If that does not work I would suggest you do a factory reset.