cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PHONE SHAMING: Would you buy the LG G4? (re: problems with screen splitting & boot looping)

NatSmith
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hey Friends,

Would you buy the LG G4 if your sales rep told you that it makes the most trips to the repair shop.

Several sales reps in a Fido store today convinced me that the G4 was chalk-full of manufacturing defects. Later, I found dozens of angry forums where people reported notorious problems like a glitch where the screen splits and freezes, and the notorious LG boot-up loop. However, sales reps from every other phone provider in the mall unanimously told me to go with the G4, and denied any claims that it has any defects. Am I being played? 

My question to the community is: Would you buy the LG G4, knowing that many people are reporting problems with it?

Thanks for your time and help!

Nat

***Edited to add Labels***

34 REPLIES 34

Kastorima
I'm a participant level 1

I've also been bamboozled by Fido sale rep. I renewed my contract and was offered the lg4. Horrible decision I've made. The phone overheats and half the screen is already gone. It's only been a month I've had this phone.Six years of being a fido client and this is what I get.

Tanerzs
I'm a participant level 2

My G4 is a year old and full of problems. Overheating and now the screen splitting. I do not blame Fido but LG. I contacted them and they said they never heard of the issue and to do a factory reset. Yet it's been all over the internet for 2 years. Now I'm past my one year warranty with a garbage phone. Not sure what I can do other than shell out money for a new phone 1 year before my contact is up.

Joyce875

@Tanerzs wrote:

My G4 is a year old and full of problems. Overheating and now the screen splitting. I do not blame Fido but LG. I contacted them and they said they never heard of the issue and to do a factory reset. Yet it's been all over the internet for 2 years. Now I'm past my one year warranty with a garbage phone. Not sure what I can do other than shell out money for a new phone 1 year before my contact is up.

I'm having the same issue.  I tried a factory re-set but that didn't fix the problem.  Lucky I saved my pics & contacts.  I have about 5 months left on my contract.

Hey @Joyce875

Welcome to the Community. Smiley 

Let us know if you were interested in us checking out the options for an early upgrade with you. We can send you a PM right from here to go through all the details together. 

Hi @Tanerzs & welcome to the Community!

I'm sad to see that you're having issues with your phone. Sad Was it LG who told you to just do a factory reset?

Tanerzs

After searching the internet about this problem I saw it was an LG issue and not Fido, so i contacted LG support directly and that was thier suggestion. They said they had never heard of the issue before

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Thanks for confirming @Tanerzs!

On our end, as the phone is out of warranty, we can definitely check out some options to get you a new phone!

To do that, you can reach out here or let us know and we'll send you a PM here on the Community Smiley

Hi @Kastorima & welcome to the Community!

I'm sad to read that you're having issues with your phone and that you feel bamboozled by Fido. Sad I am certain that this was not the intention of our sales rep.

The phone is under warranty for one year; have you brought it into a Fido store to have it sent out for repair?

Jakethecanadien
I'm a contributor level 1

oh and i forgot to add the boot loop is related to the quick case, I never had one on my lg g4 and i figured out quicly thats what caused my boot loop on my stylo as the g4 caused boot loops with it biging on the screen 1-4 trys 

Yeah sending people to the kdz to fix there own phones or doing it at store is rather anyoing, how bout they just discontuew the phone on the prepayed market for a stupid price but bundle in a lage sd card to get rid of it 

and have a replacement porgram because of the faults like a first one free type of deal.

Also there is no root available for the fido line of lg phones, me as a person who perferes openness, I rather android and haveing my phone rooted with the android open source project clean code running on my phone or in other words an alternative operating system then the stupid stock company, bulid, 

I desided to chose iphone because its been such a pain in the rear to find a decent phone thats rootable and has the bootloader unlocked. 

So insdead of haveing half my gates walls open, I desided to just go behind the wall and take a dam iphone. but the space is what did it. 

but the problem is the store managers dont do there home work on whats good phones and also the employies dont test new diffrent phones they need to test the hardware for a week. 

Like every phone generation or what ever, take all the fido employies all across canada have a day off and go to some event or have a together chill day and you guys and try dfiffrent phones for a week and all have to keep in contact with eachother for the reporting on how each phone is and if some one dosent like a phone the have to convince some one to trade there tester phone as a sales test to see if that phone could be sold broken with faults. 

look once a phone rep or say a phone is good. the person is eather gonna beleve them for the rest of there life, or get really upset and want something and make an argument with the company and the comapny is to large to be able to aduit stuff like this i presume, 

The only way to nip this problem in the but is to actualy pay the sales team and call center team  a day to get to know and be famailar with the phones there selling. because honestly not many of them know what android is up to or, what iphone is up to. 
and the information i look for typicaly is never on fidos site because its just advertisment information, the sales teams only know what fido tells them. 

Fido also needs to inprove on making links and being able to pull reviews from gsm aerna while also makeing shure to have eather a liniage os phone a bratch of cynogemod, or have a rootable phone on every store shelf that is compatable with linange 

the next big thing after the unlimited internet, is going to be people asking about phones rooted and being able to chose there own operating system. and I figure the FCCCCRT are behind it not being a publicly knowen thing, because if i could of got a 800$ android phone with liniage os on it I would of chose that phone,. 

But its been years since i took a phone out on credit and I just want to say im working my but off for 

Hi @Jakethecanadien!

Thanks for your suggestions. Smiley I'll pass them along to the right team.

Jakethecanadien

Wow this phone has problems? wow. the screen splits? Wait so its not cracked? FK I thought i cracked it, but i was high in the clouds so i though I did a drop and forgot about my phone and just never noticed. i cracked it till i cracked it because i was so used to cracked phones. 

I honestly liked my lg g4 alot, the best feature of it that it had an the tv remote thing, and i love turning televsions off at bars, and i rather just have my phone as a remote. This is truly a feature I do miss. 
What was also nice is it had a bulit in DNLA server in the operating system. This I also miss. 
I will not miss the times it acted werid and did its werid software hickups. but they are not as bad as the LG stylo. I honestly got more fustrated at the lg stylo because its still on os 5 where the g4 i had was updated to os6 

I hated the curves in the phone and made typeing on a desk or table hard. and also made the phone harder to angle on things. 

But now im on iphone and honestly, Ii hate haveing to adjust my slid down to up thing, and i think this 3d touch is an anoyance, its a new thing to learn on something weve been doing for years

rjfrizz

Woke up to the notorious 'bootloop' issue today. Was told by Fido chat support that "LG hasn't notified Fido that it's an official problem." 

Based on this issue being so widely acknowledged, that the phone is basically GUARANTEED to break within 2 years, I would NOT recommend purchasing this phone. 

LG has admitted that it is a manufacturing defect and supposedly will take the phone in for repairs. I was hoping that Fido would take care of that on my behalf, but no such luck.

Don't even take this phone for $0.

Hey @rjfrizz and thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to see that you have trouble with your phone.

Did you get a chance to bring your device to a Fido store to get it checked?

rjfrizz

Hey @FidoKenny,

Not yet. Would you recommed that as the best next step for me? Or is it better just to contact LG directly at this point?

Will any Fido kiosk do?

Cheers,

Ryan

@rjfrizz

Contacting LG would definitely be the best option since they are the manufacturer for this device.

You have the option to go to one of our locations as well.

mar_wu

My phone is out of warranty, and out of blue I have bootloop problem.

It happend on the plane. So I spent my whole flight charging, taking out battery, letting the phone cool down... And the phone still bootloop.

Good to know that lg acknowledges G4 bootloop problem,will they still fix my phone, even if it is out of warranty?

Just landed, no time to check with fido yet.

skyjill

Advises to those who are experiencing the bootlooping issue, based on my experience:

• Contact Fido and hopefully you will meet a nice and knowledgable staff who can help you out as I experienced
  • Contact LG customer services and they will repair it for you for free if Fido won't do anything

I had just experienced this boot looping issue with my lg g4. Just have it back today after it got repaired. I gave my BIG thanks to the Fido staffs in West Edmonton Mall. I am from Caglary, was visiting Edmonton for two weeks during christmas. On the second day of my trip I had this bootloop problem out of blue. I initially used live chat of Fido to ask advise. The guy who chatted with me said that my phone was just out of warranty for 9 days. They cannot do anything but let me upgrade my phone for $300. I then contacted LG customer services and they acknowledged that this bootlooping probrem is their hardware fault. They let me send my phone to an address in Mississauga. They will repair it for free and will refund my shipping cost as well. 

As I still have one year contract with Fido and am in need of a phone, especially during my trip. I then visited Fido at WEM for a new phone. I showed my dead phone to them. Initially, there was a guy who said they cannot do anything but let me update my phone as well. Luckly, the very nice and knowledgable lady came by. She saw my phone and said "Oh, is that a G4? for that we will take and send it to repair even it is out of warranty!". Then quickly they started to work on the paperwork about the repair and gave me a loaner. After she learned that I am from Calgary, she even made a phone call to Fido in Calgary and make sure that I can have my repaired phone shipped to Calgary Fido which is closest to my place. She even didn't charge me anything on the loaner! (She said it is because of the Christmas! Smiley

Hope my experience will help those who are experiencing the same issue with G4!

Ronald51

Hi, my LG G4 has 9 months left on the 2 year contract, technically out of the 1 yr warranty from manufacturer. I had a boot loop issue just tonight and the phone was never dropped or anything of sort. I have read that its a known issue and wondering if the LG statement circulating on the web is true. Will fido send my cellphone for repair for free?

@Ronald51 The bootloop issue is a know issue and LG acknowledge it, I know alot of people got it repaired out of warranty because LG did acknowledge its a defect. Contact LG directly and see what they say, it would be easier than sending it through Fido.

LG contact info here.

@mar_wu From what i've heard yes they will but don't take my word call LG to confirm.1-888-542-2623