Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS/Firmware updates

mose
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi

I think Fido should be telling the customers straight up about the plans to upgrade a phone's software. As a carrier they usually make modifications to software released by the phone manufacturers and yet we never get a date or release window. I have a HTC One S and am yet to get 4.0.4 (which was released months ago by HTC in late August). I have let go of that but am looking forward to 4.1 Jellybean. However, as usual, no word on when to expect it, even not sure if Fido will release it even though HTC confirmed they will make 4.1 for the One S.

Basically, the excuse of 'we are not sure when we will be ready...' etc is lame in this day and age. At my work, if someone asks you when a certain project will be finished you don't say 'I don't know'. Fido should be professional enough to tell us whether or not we are getting updates and when. Even saying 2 months from now is better than the generic 'our team is working on it'. That team must have a project manager who obviously has a schedule he/she is following. So Fido, please stop the vague answers and own up early. 

6 REPLIES 6

Tru
Fido Employee
Fido Employee

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to update it since I came across it. All the details concerning OS upgrade can be found here. This page includes all OS releases with available tentative dates. We update it as often as information becomes available.

Hope it helps!!!

kenshin33
I'm experienced level 1
I'm experienced level 1

I don;t know about htc but samsung has some king of dekstop software to manage the phone (backup updates and stuff like that) have you tried that route ?

well there is one: called HTC sync manager

mose

@kenshin33 I guess you didn't understand what I meant. My issue is fido not giving timeframes on when they will release the updates. I already know how to update phones. Though I would want to know when OTAs are available to better plan whether to get a certain phone or upgrade to another phone.

rgbg
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1

HTC Phones get their update only through OTAs, the Sync manager (as the name mentions it) is only for syncing content such as photos, music, etc.. It's differentfrom samsung.

And about the updates, there are like 4 or 5 threads on the topic, and fido never seems to answer...go figure. But i agree so much with you, they should give us a timeframe at least or just sell unbranded phones so that we can deal directly with HTC.. Why brand-bound phones if you don't plan to put effort on software developement ???

mose
@rgbg Sometimes I think it is a way to force us on the upgrade treadmill. Hold off on an update to make people want a newly released device. Some people are not comfortable with rooting and using custom ROM so they are 'forced' to get a newer phone. And I feel cheated especially since am missing out on security updates, not just performance improvements. Good to know someone agrees.

TR
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1
They are horrible with the updates and with the phone availability. Whether or not it is in their control, it is important for their business to be part of the process of this decision, as well as to inform customers rather than just saying they will look into it or that it is not their responsibility.

I know quite a few people who left Fido or plan to for these reasons.